Monday, April 25, 2011

Hobby Priorities and Projects

While all of my hobby stuff is currently scattered over eastern Pennsylvania at numerous locations, I can still dream and conjure up what my projects and priorities will be for the coming "campaign season" which, in my opinion, is opening now.

20mm AWI Project Summer '11
This project I think is more to hone my painting skills and get some painting under my belt.  Make no mistake about it though, 20mm is making a huge come-back in my life as a seriously cost-effective method of gaming.  Imagine the huge potential for gaming on the cheap - suddenly Blitzkrieg Commander / Cold War Commander scenarios utilizing 1:72 scale model tanks, helos, trucks are now possible! 
Right now I am painting a large force of AWI Soldiers which are being based for Guns of Liberty (pics in previous posts).  The 24th Foot is under the lamplight now and will hopefully be finished up next week sometime.  Once complete, I'll either start right in on a combined Grenadier Battalion or I'll complete the 2nd New Hampshire Regiment.  For them, I'll need to purchase more paints as I have no colors in the GW line that can be used as teh sky blue.

20mm World War II Project Summer '11
I have begun (once again) amassing quite a nice collection of WWII troops in 20mm soft and hard plastic.  My original intent was to play skirmish rules with them and I am looking for a good rules set (anyone have any suggestions for 20mm skirmish?  Otherwise I'll use Blitzkrieg Commander)  I really want to game Eastern Front / Late War, D-Day operations, Italian theater, and North Africa.  still will need to purchase North Africa and Afrika Corps troops but I have my hands full with my SS, Panzer Grenadiers, officers, and US Troops (painted as 4th Infantry Division...for sentimental reasons.  Steadfast & Loyal!)

6mm ACW Project Fall '11
I could have embarked upon an AWI Project in 6mm however it seemed not only redundant but silly to have 3 AWI Armies.  So I've shelved the 6mm AWI and will continue to build my large 6mm force and will most likely continue playing Volley & Bayonet in 6mm.  One day I will have, at a regimental level, all of the day 1 troops from the battle of Gettysburg on 1 table.

20mm Warmaster Project Fall '11
Man what ever happened to my 20mm WM guys?  I have about 4 Orc regiments, 4 empire regiments, a knight squadron, a battle troll and a ton of boxed artillery, siege engines,etc.  Would very much like to complete this project and finally game Warmaster, in all its glory.  For sigmar...

6mm SYW Project Winter '11 / '12
I literally cannot think of a better time than the dead of winter to complete a Seven Years War project.  REALLY need to finally finish this project.  I have enough troops for quite a large engagement and would like to game the Battle of Lobositz on my dining room table (I have the troops and the room for it).  Right now I need 2 x bases of painted troops for 1 V&B base.  I have about 60-70% of the troops finished and based although the bases aren't complete just yet.

EPIC Sci Fi Forces Revamp Winter '11
I have a huge collection of EPIC Space Marine forces.  Space Marines (Salamanders Chapter), Imperial Guard, Orks, Chaos to name a few.  One of my dreams of a huge battle involves a planetary uprising against the imperium where a small ubiquitous planet, that happens to manufacture heavy, advanced weapon systems for the Imperium rises up and overthrows the Imperium's ministerial rule.  Great idea, until the Guard with a handful of space marines is sent in to crush the uprising.  Plenty of possibilities for unique, kit-bashed weapon systems and R&D systems that give the pathetic rabble rebels a slim but fighting chance againt the might of the imperial guard.  I will either use Epic Armageddon, Epic Space Marine, OR....finally use my Future War Commander rules for some truly epic and outstanding tank battles.  Could be fun.  Naturally the tanks from this rebellious planet will be painted in German Ambush camoflauge a la WWII... certainly more to follow.

20mm Napoleonics Gaming the Napoleonic Wars in Portugal and Spain
Planning on purchasing alot of 20mm hard and soft plastic Napoleonic Troops to game some of my most favorite battles fought in Portugal and Spain.  This project equals my Christmas list for Christmas, 2011.  Procurement!!!  I may already have a box of Odemar's Portuguese infantry on the way in.

Retiring / RIF'ting Forces
In these days of Penny-Pinching defense budgets, corporate layoffs, and belt tightening, I'm thinking what kind of fat can I chew away from the force without feeling any impact of hobbies

15mm Napoleonics - Axe
I seem to remember an ebay binge back in 2008 where I lost my mind and bought up a ton of 15mm British and 15mm French all painted to game the Peninsula War in Portugal and Spain.  Well with the decision to game Nappys in 20mm plastics, I'm going to be getting rid of all of my 15mm Napoleonic lead/pewter.  If there are any takers, I'm all ears.  If you're interested, post a comment and I'll get back to you.

15mm World War II - Axe
I have a ton of World War II lead.  No kidding.  Way too much that it takes up 2 x 32 gallon totes when I have it all neatly packaged.  That's just the think - these poor guys have spent way too much time in boxes and almost no time fighitng.  My ultimate goal is to have a plastic force on 1 x 1/4 inch bases that can be used almost interchangeably with any WWII system up to and including Spearhead WWII or GHQ MicroArmour rules if I wanted to. 

Warhammer 40k - Axe
I have all of these stupid Warhammer 40K troops that I will never, ever use.  I'm getting rid of them.  They're cool too.  Cadians, Catechans, Orcs.  Heavy weapons.  Any takers they're yours for a very fair price.

15mm AWI / ACW - SHELVE
Of all of my favorite and beloved periods, the AWI comes in first.  I cannot in all honesty, just get rid of them after all of the work I've put into the lads.  So I'll shelve them and await a day when I can re-organize, repaint, and rebase all of them.

MicroArmour SHELVE
MicroArmour is near and dear to my heart.  It's what has started it all and has occupied more of my time spent actually GAMING than any other genre.  Unfortunately I have more than I'll ever even be able to lay my eyes on at a single time.  The project, covering years 1942 to 2004, will require lots of painting, basing, and hopefulyl gaming.  Just not any time soon!  The microarmour will be dealt with accordingly when I have alot of other hobby accomplishments complete and have gamed some good SYW battles in 6mm, some Napoleonic Battles in 20mm, etc. 

Huzzah!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Steve, you have more problems than I do! One of the reasons I got away from the larger figures is because of the greater time needed to paint them rather than gaming them. But of course they look great when done. Interesting that you turned to plastics for some of your armies. I only use plastics for the Vietnam collection, and that is limited to an infantry company either leg, M113 or UH-1 mounted.
    May I suggest that you apply a bit more project management to your painting tasks. Select where same colour can be used on different figures in different armies and work out a schedule for applying just that colour. At first it will seem like you are not getting anywhere by just painting red or green, but most 18th-19th century armies only require 3-4 basic colours, so you would be near-finishing a lot of figures simultaneously.

    Cheers
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg,
    Thanks for the advice - Interestingly I am going to be going for a project management degree from Drexel in the near future. Funny you should mention that. As you can see I am a troubled gamer haha. Paints have not been a problem for me. The main problem is deciding what rules I want to play with, basing conventions, and a scale for each genre. I'm not going to be naice - I have way too many figures to limit 1 scale for all my gaming needs, although that would seem to be a good solution, it's just too late and too expensive for me to do it!

    ReplyDelete