Friday, June 24, 2011

Hobby Priorities and Projects: Future Plans

A few months ago I published a priorities list that puts some sense into the mountain of lead standing before me.  Since that time I have re-tooled my priorities and what I want to be painting and working on, and more importantly, what I want to be gaming when I'm all finished.  The projects that I've taken up seem much more manageable now that I am focusing on 2 x projects simultaneously.  I'm not burning out with deadlines and just painting up 1 genre or time period. 

I hope you've been enjoying my blog as much as I've been enjoying sharing my trevails back into the gaming world.  (the French certainly have been - more people from France have visited my blog than any other nationality!  Vive la France!)

If you've been following the blog, you've noticed I've been working on 15mm World War II troops for Crossfire (or any other rules set I want) and my 6mm American Civil War project, both of which have been coming along nicely.  At the slow rate I've been painting, I plan on finishing up my 6mm ACW project by September as well as my 15mm WWII Crossfire project as well.  What does victory look like?

15mm Crossfire WWII Project
I am looking at having 2 Soviet Rifle Companies, Supporting Weapons, and a Battalion Command Stand complete by September.  In addition to these forces, I also plan on having 2 x German Rifle Companies complete along with supporting weapons and a Battalion Command stand.  This is all completely do-able as the 15mm guys paint up realtively quickly and I can complete a rifle company in a week if I really put my mind to it. 

6mm ACW Project
Probably my most-played with miniatures, my 6mm ACW guys are currently being upgraded!  I have started re-painting all of them and placing them on 2" x 1" bases for Volley & Bayonet.  I am also in the process of integrating my extensive Baccus collection into them as well.  My initial idea of modeling the entire Day 1 at Gettysburg in 6mm may have been a little too ambitious - so I'm modeling 2 ACW Corps.  I Corps of the Army of the Potomac, and AP Hill's Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia.  This will allow me to fight some terrific battles with a manageable end state.  I have not started the Confederates yet as I am finishing up Rowly's Brigade and beginning Cutler's Brigade now.  Once I finish I Corps, I will start on Heth's Division, which I hope to do by thr 4th of July.

WHAT'S TO COME?   FALL '11

20mm Moderns Project
THis is a serisously huge but easy undertaking that will be painless.  I have a ton of 20mm moderns to include Russian Federals, Modern Israelis, Chinese PLA, French, my famous Kit-bashed Israelis, and of course my Operation Iraqi Freedom US and Middle Eastern Insurgent forces.  That will be a good time!  I am basing them individually to be used for a number of different rules sets but will more than likely use them for Modern Crossfire, Cold War Commander, or a home-grown skirmish rules set.  Making modern urban terrain should prove fun for that :)  I will easily be able to paint up 1 Soldier at a time while embarking on these other projects.  I even have a sweet 1:72 stryker and a few M113s for scenarios.


15mm AWI Project
The Battle of Hubbardton Project is NOT off the table.  Far from it!  Now that I know the color choices really work, I will begin painting up these troops (11th Mass, 2nd New Hampshire, Green Mountain Boys, 24th Foot, Converged Light and Converged Grenadier Battalion, and my Hessians to make up the forces that fought at the battle.  They will continue to be based for the ever-popular Guns of Liberty rules set.  I look to start this in September/October time frame, finishing up no later than March, 2012.

15mm WWII Crossfire Project Cont'd
Looking to re-do my WWII Americans and will hopefully come out with 1 Rifle Company of Paratroopers and 1 Rifle Company of Line Infantry troops along with Support Stands and Command.  Additionally, I would like to re-do my Company of WWII British Para's.  They look good in their own right but I am going to repaint them in my favorite style and hopefully game a market garden game!  These gentlemen will paint up very quickly and I will be complete by Christmas, 2011.

6mm Seven Years War Project
Hopefully somewhere in here i finally have the time to standardize my Baccus / Adler Seven Years War (SYW) forces and finish them to play my Lobositz game!!  I don't even need that much more - just a few artillery batteries and infantry regiments and I will be ready to game!

LONG TERM PLANNING....WINTER 2011

20mm Napoleonics
Going to start painting and basing my 20mm Nappies (all Hat and Ykreol).  Plan is to complete a modest British covering force, a French Guards du Corps, and a Portuguese Force all for the Peninsula War.  Rules set will be Age of Eagles or possible Shako - but as of right now, Summer of 2011 my plan is Age of Eagles.


15mm Vietnam War Stands
I currently have a rifle company based for Crossfire and a Vietcong/NLF Platoon also based for Crossfire.  Being the Tank-Junky that I am, I had to paint up an M48 tank for some firepower and I have a platoon of M113s for inner security duties.   The cold of winter will undoubtedly coop me up inside and ensure that I'll be able to complete this project quickly.  I want to RE-paint these troops as US Army, 1st Cavalry Division or 4th Infantry Division troops, along with more of my Long Range Recon Patrol troopers and Green Berets for a Special Forces scenario.  I also want to complete my North Vietnamese troops.  I plan on the following this winter:

  • 1 US Aero Rifle Company (1st ACD) (9 Rifle squads, 2 support squads, command stands)
  • 2 North Vietnamese Rifle Companies (each company is 12 rifle squads with 1 support stand each, and a battalion mortars squad, and anti aircraft stand)
  • 1 Vietcong Platoon (Field Force northern liberation front stands 3 each)

SUPER LONG-TERM PLANNING

SPRING 2011
15mm American Civil War Project
I have a wonderful collection of Old Glory and Musket Miniatures troops that are based for Fire and Fury.  They are in dire need of touching up and re-painting.  I will still have them all based for F&F but will be adding a serious amount of reinforcements to the mix.  Ensuring also that I could use them for F&F, Volley & Bayonet, Microforce, or just about anyone else's rules sets.  (haven't played microforce in awhile - might be fun)

6mm MicroArmour WWII and Modern
It's seriously been too long since I touched up or fixed any of my microarmour.  I have a gorgeous Modern US force painted in Armor sand with a terrific Brown wash that is so authentic you'd think you were in a US Motor Pool in Baghdad.  I want to fix up my Modern Soviets, my Cold War 1960's era Soviets, 1973 ArabIsraeli War troops to game Cold War Commander.

As far as teh WWII Forces go, I am going to build my World War II Divisions from the Spearhead / GHQ Microarmour.  Looking to build a US Armor Division ca 1944, a German Armored Division ca 1943-1944, a Soviet Armored Division ca 1943 and some other odds and ends.  I have most of the forces already but will be needing to take stock of the infantry forces i have available.  I may not have enough infantry, supporting weapons, or trucks to round out my divisions.  Favorite rules sets?  Still Blitzkrieg Commander and GHQ MicroArmour: The Game.  Have not actually played Spearhead yet.


FROM THE PROCUREMENT OFFICE:
  • SU-76 15mm need to compare prices battlefront to old glory
  • ATG 15mm Soviet & German
  • 15mm German Fallschirmjaegers
  • 15mm Continental Militia
  • Model Master "Dark Green" Spray Paint
  • graveyard earth Citadel paint pot
  • catachan green Citafel paint pot
  • Tamiya Battlefield Accessories (Arty shells)
  • Games Workshop Battlefield Mat (green)

FUTURE OPS (dreaming a little dream)
WWII SS Company in Crossfire
WWII Japanese Company in Crossfire
WWII USMC Company with Amtracs in Crossfire
Battlefield Rubble (homemade or purchased)

No comments:

Post a Comment