Monday, February 20, 2012

Armourfast Stug III Redux

Finally picked up a can of "Afrika Mustard" and repainted the Stug long-barrel you might remember from the Disposable Heroes game a couple weeks ago.

I used a slightly different camo concept I picked up from Grenzer John's blog and this seems to do the trick since I don't have an airbrush or any green putty to make camo lines.

The cross looks good on the side as well - it's free-handed!  I goofed on the tracks and the roadwheels a little but what the heck.  The 3 foot rule applies to this vehicle!  It's now ready to take on some Shermans in Northwest Europe!  Huzzah!

Check out those kill-rings!
                                       

Good angle.

The reader will excuse the sloppy job on the road wheels!

Also please excuse the drying nappies in the background!
Got alot done today.  Finished some Brigade sized 6mm ACW stands for Volley & Bayonet and also finished this 20mm monster as well.  Now that I see the pattern works, I'm ready to start the other Stug and also the Panther i've got hiding around in the closet.  I am waiting on 2 Armourfast 251 half tracks and I'll probably put lines on those however!!  Happy gaming!

8 comments:

  1. hmmm... I like the cammo. nice. simple. i will steal it for my Imagi-nation armor scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the cammo pattern. (I'm so proud!) I can't remember where I lifted it from, but I'd do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tsold - I "borrowed" it myself from Grenzer John. I had the "ambush" pattern on before but something didn't look quite right. This is much simpler and easy to apply without me screwing it up!

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John,
    The pattern was perfect! Looks just right too on the vehicle. When I heard Germans applied their camo via their own 2 hands with tubes of water soluable paint, I was constantly on the lookout for a pattern I thought could be applied to a vehicle rapidly. Your pattern is perfect!

    I am going to paint up my second Stug in the same color scheme and also a panther as well.

    As I mentioned in the blog, I'll probably use camo lines for the half tracks however - logic beind the infantry came from seperate companies and / or battalions.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds like a good idea. I've heard that the Germans applied cammo paint with a mop, using the water soluable paint you spoke of, but often using gasoline instead of water! The variations in hue must have been incredible!

      Delete
    2. By the way, Steven... your profile says you're in Philadelphia. I moved to Ontario 4 years ago from Allentown. (Actually Emmaus) I was born in Hazleton.

      Delete
  5. John,
    I would have loved to watch them apply that paint. Applique camo is a great idea IMO.
    Hey I do live in Philadelphia but I was born in Bethlehem, PA so yes I know the area well!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee-yoi-yoi, Steve! It's a small world! I lived in Allentown from age 12 until I graduated university. Since then, Winchester VA, Pittsburgh PA, Loretto PA, Toronto ON, Loretto PA again, Fort Worth TX, Houston TX, back to Allentown (Emmaus), and now St. Thomas ON. Still, this is a great way to meet you and I'm glad I did.
      John G

      Delete