Monday, November 12, 2012

Are You a Proper Wargamer?

Okay there's been this thing circulating on fellow gamers' blogs the last few days...

* Spent at least £500 (Dollars) on figures / tanks - and you get extra kudos for every £500 (dollars) you've spentYes absolutely.  Even with my "30 Dollar per month allowance" I still think I've spent this much - with incidental and emergency purchases, although I will say - never at the same time!  Before I was married, it was nothing for me to drop 200 dollars on a proper Army.  Now that there is a new regime in charge of the wargaming purse, it's a little tougher to justify budgets.  That doesn't mean I don't try!
 
* Pricked your finger or thumb on a pike block - several times
The answer is no...and yes.  Maybe not a pike block, but definitely my Xacto knife cutting down, whittling down, and shaping my armies.  I've gotten some nasty cuts on the thumbs, but it's a labor of love - and I've had my tetanus shot.

* Tried at least 10 different rule sets and vowed never to play half of them ever again
YES!  But you forgot to mention - tried those rules sets, vowed never to play, THEN PICKED UP AND PLAYED, vowed never to play AGAIN, and then picked up to play AGAIN!  (marked with a **)

Fistful of TOWS III, Le Grande Armee, EPIC Armageddon**, Johnny Reb III, Fire & Fury Regimental (sorry guys, I like the original better) Peter Pig's Civil War Battles, Command Decision**, Battletech, Warhammer 40K, GHQ Modern Micro Armour**

* Bought an army off EBay
Does a bear sh*t in the woods???  EPIC Space Marine Army, Spearhead Modern Soviet Tank Division, and countless, painted 15mm AWI Regiments.

* Sold an army on EBay
Nope!  Never sold anything on Ebay.

* spent months painting an army - then used it in anger once
Yes absolutely done this!  And lost the battle I might add...

* tried several different periods and genres
Of course - my miniatures range from ancients up to moderns.

* dropped a box of figures on the floor from a great height
If you count a great height as about 4 feet, then yes (and to any wargamer, dropping a box of figures 4 feet is a SEE (Significant Emotional Event).  I will also submit that I had my original copy of GHQ's WWII MicroArmour The Game sitting on our bathroom counter top, and my wife walked by and bumped them accidentally into the toilet........

* lost a battle on the last throw of the dice
YES!!! Ask Dave F about my fateful Panzer VIb (Tiger) Platoon's charge into a fortified, built up area loaded with Russian SMG Infantry, AT guns, and more tanks!  Since all of my infantry had been killed off, it was a last, desperate gamble by the Reich.  I almost won the close combat over-run.  Almost.

* made at least one enemy for life
definitely not on the gaming table.  It's hard to make enemies when you lose all the time :)

* had a proper, stand up argument over a wargamers table
Yes.  David F and I could probalby pass law school with all of our arguments over rules, semantics, "what the author was thinking" debates, and "what the unit ACTUALLY would have done" debates...

* thrown a dice across a room
Once or twice.

* rebased an army for a different rule set
Of course.  Switched my ACW guys from Johnny Reb III to Fire and Fury to name one

* inflicted a whopping defeat on an opponent
Yes.  Like once or twice.  It's sad I can remember thrashings by counting on one hand.  Literally.  Beat Dave F in a great GHQ MicroArmour game (scenario 1 - introductory scenario), and some other guys in a Volley & Bayonet ACW scenario when I counter-marched them all over the map and then attacked in echelon up an epic hill.

* suffered an embarrassing defeat due to a stupid tactical decision
See question #8 ...

* joined a wargamers club
Yes I joined the Lehigh Valley Legion although I have yet to game there, and yet to spend my $40 in-store credit!  I also co-founded the East Lawton Wargaming Society, which is neiter in East Lawton, nor a true Society.

* bought a ton of lead that remains unpainted
True.

* been to a wargamers show
Attended Fall-In in 2009.

* have more dice than is logical or necessary to own - and have used most of them
Everyone knows dice eventually run out of luck.  It's a well-known FACT that luck value of the dice is perishable and runs out over time - causing you to buy more.

* have taken boxes of troops down to a club just to show them off to your mates
No but during a table-top exercise when I was a young captain at the intelligence officer's career course in Arizona, my squad mates asked me to bring in 1 1/4" 15mm troop stands to move around on the map.  It was nice showing off my troops and vehicles to non-wargamers.

No comments:

Post a Comment