Monday, February 11, 2013

French Napoleonic Chasseurs-a-Pied Battalion

Finished another Nappy French unit for Shako.  These fellows will round out my "elite" rated unit lists and will most likely have the "elite" morale rating of 5.  1 less than their "Guards" brethren.  Too bad because I need at least 2 more Guards rated units to for a Guards Division...  Since I am lacking in Cavalry right now, this unit will be most useful as a screen on my division's flank where i need the troops to have better morale.  Additionally they'll be useful as a spearhead in an assault on a prepared position.

They were a little more of a pain to paint (although you'd never know from looking at them!) but overall I'm pleased with them.  Next up will be a British line unit, a few more French line fusiliers, and finish off the Cavalry units for the Division - then I'll be almost done with the year's Nappy project!

These guys were fun to paint just a little tedious, as Napoleonic units tend to be but their look on the table with massed columns of their friends cannot be beat!  Looking forward to my next Shako game.  Huzzah!

The formed Battalion

Nice shot!  - Note the darker, Navy Blue colored cuffs, a nice touch.

I didn't clip the individual bases down, hence their irregular formation.  That's fine as they are light troops anyways.

As I was painting on the green and red I couldn't help but think of them as "the Christmas Battalion" alas, it's the same when I paint Brits with green cuffs and facings.

Standard light kit

The white decorations on the Shako look neat.  




10 comments:

  1. Nice work Steven. I know what you mean about the tedium involved in painting Napoleonics. I've just finished a 4 figure French Carabiner unit which I'll be posting on my blog in the next day or two.... I hate painting cavalry!

    All the best,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve and glad there is another person out there who feels the same way! Looking forward to seeing those Carabiners! I have a small unit of KGL Cavalry to finish up and I'm not looking forward to it! Thanks for commenting,

      Steve

      Delete
  2. You might have found the process tedious, but I reckon it was worth it! Really nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you Rosbif! I appreciate the comment! I am very happy with how they turned out. (plus when I can paint blue trousers on my French I cut the time in half - it's almost like cheating! Don't be surprised if I make a whole division of lights and special troops lol!)

      Steve

      Delete
  3. Very, very nice work! The colors are wonderful, great painting style...
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great work! nappies require longer to paint than any other miniature around, camouflage is faster as you don't have to worry about all the bloody buttons and I paint nappies for my imagi-nation and yet I still can't find a way to simply paint them... great work and I wish you all the patience in the world for the cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gowan. It's true, Nappies are just a pain but I think, as observed here in the comments, they are well worth it in the end. It's just that I can't sit down and paint too many of them after awhile as I get burned out! It's then time to work on moderns. Your imagi-nation is fascinating! I am looking forward to seeing more developments!

      Delete