Sunday, March 17, 2013

Final Tank Week 2013: FV107 Scimitar!

This is my first foray into "light" armor.  Light always cracks me up.  I'm sure someone breaking track on one of these would beg to differ that any implement on the vehicle is light, but you and I both know we're talking about the Armor and the Armaments...For that matter, try telling someone in a Light Infantry Regiment that his rucksack should be light...or a mortarman!  You get the idea.

You can read about the Scimitar here.

With that in mind - here is some "light" armor to give my Brits a little punch.  I still haven't decided on whether or not to include this vehicle in the Hameln Bridge Assault (oh what the hell, why not).  This kit (the airfix kit) was NOT alot of fun to put together - thank Ben by the way - you were correct the track was a nightmare.  For the track I had to slice them up and individually place them on the wheel in some cases.  For the chasis I had to stick a weighted object on top of it to keep it together.

I slapped some medium green and black on him and voila.  Next step are decals (not pictured here) and dull coat (again not pictured here).

I LOVE British tank camouflage!  The Green and Black is first class.  Still need to paint the tracks a little too.

I really struggled with the stupid smoke dischargers but they look tolerable for the wargaming table.

This is a really cool little tank.

The airfix turret was very detailed.


Some Brits for scale.  The tank itself is 1:76 the infantry are 1:72.  Doesn't make a huge (pun) difference.


The color scheme was very successful IMHO.
So can anyone tell me their thoughts about Modern Spearhead or Spearhead?  I am revisiting these 2 rules sets and really liking them.  After working on my own modern and WWII rules sets, fumbling around with Fistful of TOWS 3, Command Decision, GHQ, and a few other rules sets - I am wondering if Spearhead might be the set for me.  There will be a game coming up!

Also - look for a Falklands Engagement coming soon!  Will be a good warmup for the WWIII Battle.  Huzzah!

16 comments:

  1. Nice work, the green may be a bit bright but I assume you mot have hit it with a matt yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Styx,
      As you can see with the other comments - too bright! Although I have not hit it with the matt finish just yet I am not sure how much it will tone it down. Considering a repaint - thoughts?

      Delete
  2. In the past, I've played both CD and WWII Spearhead. I found Spearhead more playable for the most part. Of course, in Spearhead, my 17-pounders knocked out two Tigers... much to the dismay of one of my gaming friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,
      Arty Conliffe abstracts alot of things in Spearhead for playability's sake. I am OK with that as I think his justification for the armor/gun values are OK for the scale involved.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done Steven. I also think that Green looks a little light, unless it is a 1970's vehicle. Well done all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. I didn't want to use my darker stuff as my OD is a little "too OD" and my "dark green" is what I use for my Soviets. Do you have any good recommendations for British Armor warpaint - currently I'm trying to get my hands on the Flames of War sprays but they seem to be sold out almost everywhere...

      Delete
  4. looks good! its fine when the 1/76 scale vehicle is by itself, thought only finding out that the 2 completely different sized tanks your refurbishing are just different versions of the same tank in different scales is annoying. but it looks good, and I guess as a bonus now it looks even more like a light tank!

    great work and I cannot wait to see the games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gowan. Yeah I'm perusing pictures of the Scimitar now and the green is def gotta get darker! Other than that - it looks like a car next to my Patton tanks and even the WWII tanks.

      Wasn't there some humorous banter about the Brits calling it the "car tank?"

      It's going to be alot of fun in the games though. Those Argies wont stand a chance up against the Rarden.

      Delete
  5. Great looking pictures...green is great!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Phil!

      Delete
  6. I've had MSH for about a year and have gotten in about 6-8 games. I really like the system a lot. That being said, I know you generally play solo which could be a problem for the Spearhead system, since having pre-plotted orders for each battalion is crucial to how the game works. I've got a few MSH BatReps on my blog. Apart from the orders issue, I'd say "Go for It!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ski,
      You know I was thinking about the pre-plotted orders. I wonder if I draw up plans on one particular day, then the enemy plans on another day (or have a friend draw up the plans for me) then play them out the following day if that might work.

      Or - could you scrap the plans phase altogether and just play the battle rules out??? it's a thought! I am going to play some SH / MSH games and see how they go.

      Delete
    2. You could just scrap the pre-plotted plans but then the game would turn into Flames of War. One of the defining things, IMHO, about the Spearhead system is that it is meant to be a Division commander's "top-down" view of things and those pre-planned orders go a long way towards making it happen.
      Having another person generate initial orders would be a fun idea and workable, to be sure. After that, since there are pretty strict limits on changing orders, I think it would work well solo.

      Delete
    3. Actually Ski you know someone else drawing up the orders for you would be the ultimate in realism - representing the higher echelon's plans and priorities and forcing you to fight out that plan.

      Delete
  7. I know nothing about Spearhead but have been intrigued by the various battle reports I've read. I was wondering about solo compatibility as well. I haven't been able to turn anything up on it as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,
      Let's see how it turns out. I'm going to knock the Spearhead rules around and see how they go. I gotta get saavy on the rules now before the zvezda modern plastics come out this summer!

      Delete