Friday, April 5, 2013

15mm Command Decision T-80 Main Battle Tank

In anticipation of Zvezda releasing their "Hot War" 15mm modern minis "sometime this summer" I have begun slowly amassing my 15mm moderns.  This is the Quality Castings/Command Decision T-80 with no reactive armor, and I think, unlike the T-62A, it looks pretty good.  Again, this is a drab paint with tan drybrush over and I have not yet added the matte finish.

This is part of a Soviet tank Battalion in the Group of Soviet Forces-Germany force I'll be amassing.  Most of my frontline tanks will be T-72s however and I'll have to substitute them for T-80s or the other way around.  Looking to field 2 tank battalions, 2 infantry battalions (1 BMP and 1 BTR-70), Air Defense, Command & Control, Artillery, and Recon.  Everything a Soviet Armour Brigade or advanced mobile detachment would need.  Anyone have suggestions for 15mm Soviet engineer equipment?  I guess QRF would be my only solution for 1/100...

Also have the Modern Russian infantry in bags waiting to be painted however I'll definitely need to paint up those pesky North Vietnamese Troopers who have been waiting patiently forever...







Had to resist the urge to paint camo on this beast.


The tan dry brushing really does the trick!

I like the detail on this tank versus the T62 for sure.  I left a few items off but will include for the next one that comes in.

with 15mm .30 cal gunner and a 15mm ACW Zouave for scale..
Back to the infantry next, whom I've been neglecting.  I think I've cracked the code for German SS paint schemes, at least for 1 particular season.  Also have my American paras to finish and photograph, as well as start my US ACW Zuoaves of Cutler's Brigade (14th Brooklyn) as it is ACW Season starting soon!

8 comments:

  1. Gotta love the T-72! It's a sexy beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chuck. I love both the T72 and the T80 - they are some of my fav tanks!!

      Delete
  2. Nice looking machine.
    I know how you feel about the camo, but an all-green T-80 is very classy!
    A brigade is very ambitious, but I'm sure you will pull it off and do it well. I look forward to the result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the look of the CD T-80. Probably not as good as QRF but definitely NOT as expensive :)

      For me, Ben I only play at 1:4 where 1 vehicle or stand equals a platoon. A Brigade for me is only 12 or 14 tanks!!! I play 1:1 games with 20mm plastics but much, much smaller. Usually only a company on the board per side and a handful of vehicles.

      Should be quite a spectacle when I'm finished.

      Delete
    2. Great work on this T80 Steven. The 1:4 ratio is the way to go with armour on the board!

      Look forward to the Soviet troops.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Paul. After the T-62 debacle, I had to set the record straight! You're right. unless I'm playing a skirmish game, I like 1:4 games as the board starts looking like a parking lot.

      Delete
  3. Great looking T80, and great pictures too...
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. I really like the casting and who doesn't like T-80s? I mean, besides German and American tankers :)

      Delete