Sunday, May 5, 2013

Black Powder, Dirtside II or Stargrunt II Anyone?

Does anyone have experience with these games?  Looking for some of the veterans out there.  I noticed Stargrunt seems to have some concepts that "Force on Force" borrowed like the Skill-Dice function (D6 for poor troops, D8 for regulars, etc) and reaction tests.

That was an interesting find.
You can download Stargrunt II for FREE from the Ground Zero Games website along with Dirtside II its larger companion.


Once again sorry no recent posts!  Still packing and moving - all of my miniatures are either at the new place or packed.

I am really jonesing for some gaming though.  Just received my beautiful hardbound copy of "Black Powder" in the mail this week and thank God the pages are printed in "drool resistant" glossy paper!  I really can't wait to play some Nappies, AWI or ACW games with it and see how it works.  It seems very similar to the Warmaster, BKC family with familiar command values and initiative movement.


In other news, the wife recently asked when my "sci fi kick" was going to be over...  She may be in luck as I am very much wanting to get back on the horse (pun) painting up my Napoleonics.  I also wouldn't mind getting in an odd game of Warmaster Fantasy, Crossfire WWII (been awhile), Disposable Heroes WWII, and maybe even some Fire and Fury ACW if I'm up to it.

Most of my terrain and miniatures are already at the new house and our dining room table is there as well......

Maybe to exorcise the "Sci Fi Bug" out of my body, I ought to play a large, Future War Commander massed battle with all my Epic: Armageddon troopers???  THat might do the trick.  Maybe.


7 comments:

  1. I've played SG2 a couple times, it's a very good "hard sci-fi" type of rules, much more realistic and deadly than something like 40K's space opera. The only thing I disliked about SG2 was you had to have 4 counters next to your unit for it's current condition. C'ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chuck. I did an image search and there were about 4 or 5 counters clustered around some units in SG2! I'm not totally afraid of counters, being a hex wargamer in a past life, but too many gets difficult to manage. Especially with SG2's cohesion values (2" apart etc)

      Delete
  2. I've played both DS2 and SG2. SG2 was the original inspiration for the Ambush Alley/Force on Force/Tomorrow's War series. It's a bit more complex though, with multiple levels of morale and multiple range bands, and the morale levels have to be kept track of by counters like the previous poster said. It's also kind of generic, without a lot of the special sci-fi rules that TW has. DS2 is quite different. It has a vehicle damage system based on drawing chits, which is liked by some but hated by others. It is a nice sci-fi micro armour game though, and comes with its own points and vehicle construction system. IMO the points system favors heavy antitank missiles too much, but that all depends on your take of future warfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chen,
      The more I read SG2, the more I'm realizing that. I think I like FOF / TW better (less book-keeping).
      Thanks for the insight on SG2/ DS2. I'll be looking for a used copy of TW soon enough!

      Delete
  3. I've used SG II as the rules engine for some games using the GW figures and background - it worked well, and was lots of fun - made Imperial Space Marines very scary! - just like the flavour text does! I've also played with it for a 1980s Cold War game - it worked well and was fun. However, the game does need you to put down counters, something that doesn't appeal to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian,
      The "epic-ness" of Space Marines in a SF rules set is a good test of the system's limits. I read alot of Dan Abnett so I expect the SM's to be powerhouses in a game. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. My son and I gave DS2 a try - I liked it a lot and so did he. The unit creation rules are a big "plus" in its favor. The only complaint I've heard about it is the way infantry shooting is handled.

    ReplyDelete