"Find your mission statement" he said "and everything else will fall into place."
- Games need to be playable in 3 hours from start to finish.
- Games have a clear outcome (an obvious winner and loser).
- I should be able to use all my figures.
Armed with Brian's logic, and accepting that no one rules set is really and truly "perfect" I re-engineered my search according to the things that I find uncompromising and I feel as if I have something of a winner for me and my particular tastes:
- Games should work equally well with a few units or with many units on the table.
- Game is uncomplicated
- Game is basing agnostic
- Command elements are important and useful in games.
- Lots of D6
- delivers period flavor
- historically similar forces can deliver historically similar results (but they don't have to)
So....with "Steve's Tenets of Warfare" in your grasp, what rules set would be good for Horse & Musket? I'm thinking the following:
- Black Powder
- Rank & File