Sunday, October 14, 2018

Little Wars TV

Logo from Little Wars TV - Used without their permission.


Yesterday completely by chance I stumbled across the "Little Wars TV" [click] Youtube channel and watched some of their material after the kids went to bed.  WOW is all I can say!  This is a group somewhere in Pennsylvania (thumbs up there) that meets in their own facility and clearly has a passion for all things military history.
their website is great, too.

Now, lots of gamers and groups have social media platforms [blogs...ahem] and even do videos, so what makes these guys unique?

A few things, I think.  Their production quality is outstanding.  Their miniatures and video batreps are extremely well-done with interviews of the player-commanders and their strategies.  They add in nice, concise histories of the campaign, and so far in the battles I've watched, they try to wrestle with some kind of historical myth or proof that they want to disprove or explore further.  (IE the reason for English supremacy at Agincourt, or the myth of Roman Legions' invincibility, etc).

They also seem to be a great bunch of guys who share your love of pushing toy soldiers around on the battlefield.  I will add that these guys do it in a very classy way!  Just watching the videos makes me want to go down to the basement to paint or game.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that's probably one of their motives, so mission accomplished.

But don't take my word for it - head on over to their site or watch these awesome trailers to see what I mean.  Don't be surprised if you end up staying to watch some of their slick BATREP videos.




If the videos don't play for you, here is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u76MBP546mk



8 comments:

  1. Their shows are excellent! Good find Steve.

    We must do something similar Steve, when I eventually get over to visit New Jersey.

    (I might even grow a beard :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when you come o'er the pond again we'll have to play a few games, have a few pints, and possibly do a podcast. I live a very short distance from a ton of AWI battlefields and 2.5 hours from Gettysburg.

      On of my bucket list items is to head across the pond and meet and game with the Battlegroup team. Naturally no stop there would be complete without visiting the Duc de Gobin!!

      Delete
  2. Just watched the Foy wargame and research. Really well done. It's good to see them questioning the accepted wisdom of Band of Brothers. Superbly done.
    Again - great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Darren. I thought so, too. I watched their Agincourt and Trebia videos last night told my wife id "be up in a second" she eventually had to come down to see what all the fuss was! This morning i watched their antietam video. Superb!

      Delete
  3. I have just watched their Antietam battle. Interesting, from several perspectives, not least the visual. From an historical perspective, ity is interesting to note that George McClellan himself thought he had fought an exemplary battle on the day. (I also suspect that Lee didn't realise just how weak his army had become, owing to desertions and French furlough.

    Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antietam is a great battle to discuss as well. I suspect McClellan had a very high opinion of himself. I just love reading his correspondences with Lincoln and picking up on the passive aggressive tones in them.

      Delete
    2. McClellan is a fascinating character and worthy of study.

      Delete