Saturday, December 8, 2018

15mm SS Camouflage Proof of Concept and Some Light Progress

It was only a matter of time before I broke out the 15mm World War II stuff and got back to it.  That's not to say that my 1/285 or 10mm projects are bust.  Far from it.  The Christmas Offensive Arab-Israeli War FATE OF A NATION game preparations are stepping into high gear now with the completion of another Israeli infantry platoon.  Tomorrow I will also go and buy the paint for the desert table!
new threads on these troopers

But I have resolved to reduce my gaming footprint in the basement ever-so-slightly and that means more efficient storage.  More efficient storage means completing some of the packs of troops and tanks that are taking up space!  In order to start some new projects, I have to complete some ones that have been on the back-burner for awhile.  Namely, my 15mm German SS Company.  These guys were individually based for the 2016 Historicon "Hotel Game-a-palooza" night where Dave and I played a Bolt Action 15mm Canadian vrs 12th SS showdown in Dave's hotel room.

Anyways, I was never completely happy with the camo on my SS troopers and was shopping around for different schemes that would look nice on 15mm troops.  I think I found my answer.  This is close to "oak leaf" as I'm going to get and is dead simple.  In fact, much simpler than the green version that was on these guys previously.  Using this scheme, I'm going to paint up an entire company.  2 Flames of War / Battlegroup platoons worth of men.  My plan is to knock out 1 squad per day which is 2 x teams.







trying the flash on my phone.  wife says they look horrible.

One of my favorite angles of this stand.

need to start producing more painted things!

still need to put a wash on to tone down their faces.

In other news, I started work on the 15mm PSC Soviet Artillery crewmen for the 57mm / 76 mm AT Gun / Artillery stands, and as mentioned before finished my last Israeli platoon for the Christmas Offensive game.  Once theyre based the last units I will need to complete will be the BTR-152 armored transports, and the PT76 recce tanks and I'll be done!

Tonight I also basecoated 2 x MI-24 "Hind" gunships for 6mm Team Yankee.  All in all it was a productive night!  Tomorrow afternoon I have a game with Ken lined up in the afternoon, and possibly with Alex in the evening if my wife is feeling generous!!!!

I also found a bonus "unit" of Austrian 10mm Napoleonic troops hiding in my desk drawer.  They only need some details painted on and they're ready for the field.  I've been missing playing EAGLES with Alex, and also I'd like to play a Black Powder game with my 10mm Napoleonics.  I have a Black Powder Teugen-Hausen 1809 scenario somewhere...

I should also mention I've been reading up on Norm Smith's "Yartzevo Defiant" campaign for TIGERS AT MINSK and it looks really intriguing.  So much so that I really want to play the campaign out, even if it's solo (ahem...Alex).  Norm, if you're reading this, one day you must give Stalingrad the same treatment.  I plan on playing your 37th Guards scenario someday soon albeit with squares instead of hexes.  That will nicely solve my urban hex dilemma.  Watch this space!  So much to do and play, so little time!


8 comments:

  1. Lookin' good man, the camo on those 15mm troops is immediately recognizable. And I definitely hear ya about too much to do and not enough time...

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack. That's what i was hoping for. That's not what had happened on the last batch.
      Never enough time. I need to take like a week off and kill off these things on the list.

      Delete
  2. Superb work on the camo.
    Very interested in seeing the finished Hinds too.
    Would Tigers at Minsk work for Vietnam and modern I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Darren. I think they'd work very well for Vietnam games amd Arab Israeli games so why not modern? That is a question for Norm, i think. Perhaps if the voices are loud enough?? :)

      That said i know Norm still had theaters of WWII he wants to finish.

      Delete
  3. Steve, Yartzevo Defiant gave me a lot of interesting small games, a bit of a job of work to build it from the ground up, but I am now happy enough with the engine, that other campaigns would be relatively easier to create.

    Taking TaM into the future is an interesting point. The anti-armour system is on its third version. The first version was good at a medium gun firing at medium armour, but once the more extremes met such as light v heavy etc, the system started to skew, so I changed it and then changed again to what I have now.

    This time I have formulas that fix armour values and gun penetration values, so those two things should be more truly comparative, however, they are tied to a 'to hit' roll, which runs off the value of a value of 6 on a D10 - this seems fine for all my WWII stuff, but I wonder as we go post war and both gun values and armour ratings go up, would the tie in with a 'to hit' roll cause problems? I have never looked, so I don't know. I am guessing the 'more modern' one goes, the greater the strain on the game engine as written.

    I may find myself having a dabble as there is a LOT of 10mm going to 1985 and Plastic Soldier Company are doing some 10mm armour in hard plastic. With Pendraken expanding their range and Timecast doing some nice stuff, I can see it becoming quite 'the thing'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, your comments are leaving me on the edge of my seat!

      A suggestion? Why not dip your toe in the water and try out the 6 Day War? Lots of World War II equipment that could port over nicely? Shermans, bazookas, SU-100s? You could do it all in counters? Just a thought. I for one would be happy to playtest!!!! (And i have all the kit).
      I understand the comments about the armor/ anti armor system. TAM has reached a happy place with the armored combat. More lethal and heavier armored units may break it?

      Delete
  4. Yes, 6 days is certainly a safer place as far as armour 'stressing' goes.

    ReplyDelete