Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2019 Holiday Progress: Soviet ZIS-3 Division Guns, SS Company and Americans!

Wow only one day into 2019 and we already have some progress to report.  In-line with my hobby priorities for the year [click], I have a completed battery of Soviet M1942 76mm ZIS-3 Division Guns [click] for use in future WWII games.

The battery awaiting orders to fire in support of the advancing heroes of the Motherland!
I would be lying if I said there were "only" worked on in 2019 but they were definitely completed in 2019!  The guns are from "Gaming Models" [click] and are resin castings.  They are very inexpensive and the quality of these guns is spot-on (most of my orders from GM have been very good.  A couple were not so good).

The crew are leftover Plastic Soldier Company figures from the Soviet WWII Heavy Weapons box.

 In games like Neil Thomas WWII, BATTLEGROUP and FLAMES OF WAR, these guns are super versatile and super useful.  They are dual-purpose and serve as indirect fire guns and anti tank guns.


                            


They are based with my standard scheme for basing.



Next up, putting the finishing touches on the 1st Platoon of my German SS Company.  In terms of FOW, these are a single, very big platoon.  In terms of Crossfire, they are a standard company but minus the heavy weapons.  I have one platoon to go and they'll be finished.  I'm doing these guys a little differently and have been knocking out a single squad (8 troops on 2 bases) at a time.  It helps my sanity!

Platoon or Company Command Group.
 They are based for just about any WWII 15mm rules that I play, including FOW, Battlegroup, and the stable of Neil Thomas games.

Playing around with the camo schemes.  These troopers will be versatile and will be used in just about any theater of the war from the east to the west and Italy.

a huge Flames of War platoon, a big Battlegroup Platoon, or a single CROSSFIRE company minus 1 stand.

I had fun painting the camo patterns.  Again, I think this is believable.




The SS troops can't be finished quick enough because as soon as they are, it will be time to start up the Allies who will fight them!  Including my Canadians (North Nova Scotia Highlanders) and Americans.  And speaking of Americans, here is a "proof of concept" for my upcoming American force, painted in the correct colors:

The Big Red One moves out!

 I painted the soil slightly brighter so they can fight in North Africa on my desert table, in Italy, Omaha and Utah beaches, and Normandy still.

L to R: Joe, Willie, SGT Harper, and Cunningham
They'll need lots of firepower including Artillery, HMGs, tanks, and halftracks backing them up if they're going to storm Hitler's Reich, but they can certainly cause enough mischief on their own to live up to the wily reputation of the American Soldier.

 I am really looking forward to getting an American force on the table.  It's about time I do.


Figures are Command Decision and a single Battlefront trooper (far right).

Look closely you can see the "Big Red One" patches on their shoulders.

Had a blast painting these guys.
Hopefully get a game in this weekend.  Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! A lot of work done fast, Steven! Your guns and troops look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I cant wait to get them onto the table for a game!

      Delete
  2. Great work. Those yanks look superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darren. Once i finish these ss ill be able to focus more on the Yanks and Canucks.

      Delete