Tuesday, July 27, 2021

The Eylau Project: 33rd & 51st Ligne

 More progress with the Eylau Project as 2 x more French "Brigades" of Davout's III Corps march out of the depot.  Smartly dressed, these fellows are based, like the 13th Legere, for Blucher.  I have 7 more Napoleonic French units to paint which will be similar to these men, after which I will start cannibalizing my already-painted French units on 4 x 2 inch rectangles and re-basing them for action.

The 33rd Ligne is up first.  The 33rd was part of the 2nd Division's (Friant's) 1st Brigade and served alongside the 48th Regiment as well.  I cant explain it, but I have so much fun painting these 10mm strips.  It's soothing, mindless work...

The men move out in assault columns, eager to close with the enemy!


GdB Lochet urges the men forward!

Next to the 13th Legere.




Next up is the 51st Ligne, which was part of 1st Division's (Morand's) Second Brigade, serving alongside the 61st Ligne in the Brigade.

GdB d'Honnieres urging the battalions forward, wary of the Russian guns!


the 3 completed Brigades so far


Blucher bases - very pleased with how they turned out

I think it will be a tremendous spectacle to see up to 50 units on the table and am very much looking forward to the Eylau game.  While there are many more to paint, they paint up pretty quickly and these fellows were done awhile ago but lack of time and availability prevented me from posting.  I do not plan on posting every brigade I finish, but will instead occasionally post some pictures of the Army as it is built.  More projects are calling!  Having freshly returned from vacation and finishing off Roy Adkins' epic "Nelson's Trafalgar" I am keen to paint up MANY more of my tiny warships, and then polishing off Beevor's "D-Day" (which wasn't as good as I remembered it, and certainly not as good as his "Stalingrad" book) I plan on getting into the Western Front more with some 15mm World War II gaming.  Lots to look forward to here!  It's going to be a busy rest of the summer painting!



17 comments:

  1. Nice! I really enjoy your basing arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan. Took me a few years to finally decide on the "Blucher" bases.

      Delete
  2. Steve, fine looking bases and nice to see the project underway and that getting to the goal is a enjoyable rather than being a painting chore. I like that Old Glory do their figures in strips. It will also be a big boost once you get to the re-basing stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to that phase of this project!

      Delete
  3. Those look great Steve and very effective basing, with the labels working well but not intrusive at all:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought too, Steve. The labels are sufficiently "low key" enough that it wont bother me playing other rules with these troops.

      Delete
  4. This will look brilliant. I love the Old Glory strips, very underrated figures. I was starting an Austrian army but it was one of the sizes/scales I chose to abandon. I can enjoy them through your blog, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeffers! I'm really looking forward to playing some practice games with them but we admittedly have a ways to go before then.

      Delete
    2. Also I hope to not disappoint if you're living vicariously through my 10mm schemes!!

      Delete
    3. That’s how I’m doing all my wargaming at the moment!

      Delete
    4. Amen, sir. You're not the only one!

      Delete
  5. Your Frenchies are looking good Steve. Nice paint job and the basing scheme looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fine looking figures all. They do seem to be marching particularly eagerly too!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James! That was the theme I was looking for!

      Delete
  7. Looking superb Steve - great effects from the massed bases. And the Blucher 'tag' on the base looks well placed and doesn't take away from the base. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete