Saturday, June 4, 2022

Viking WIP in....28mm?

 Yes you read that right.  Dipping my toes into, a new scale for me.  I vowed I'd never do 28mm or start a new scale for that matter, with my beloved 10mm, 15mm, and 1/285 MicroArmor serving as staple scales.  That being said, I've been enamored with the free Ravenfeast Viking skirmish rules by the LittlewarsTV crew and picked up a print copy of Ravenfeast for free at the last convention I attended.  

My original intent was to play Ravenfeast on the cheap in glorious 15mm a la "Storm of Steel Wargaming" but Ken insisted we play in 28mm (he has a good sized collection of Dark Age figures).  A few mouse clicks on the Victrix site and their 60-figure bag of Danes and along with a bag of Dark Age Archers arrived speedily from the UK.

Ultimately this works out because I'll base my 15mm Saxons and Vikings on 40mm square bases and play Hail Caesar or even try my luck with "Big Battle Ravenfeast".

Anyways, I'm sure you're not here to see my future plans, but rather for the eye candy!  Be gentle, this is my first real foray into 28mm painting!  I'm quite happy with them so far.

Close enough for government work...

So far I have 2 x full warbands completed.  I'll knock out a third one and that should give me enough points for a 350-400 point game.


When they have no Saxons to fight, these Danes are perfectly content fighting each other!

Not going to lie the shield transfers look way nicer than my hand painted shields!  These fellows have their basing material down.  I'll be painting and flocking the bases next.


The third warband waiting for their basecoat!

A macabre command group!

So that's it.  I still have about a few more Vikings to paint but I'm chugging along with my painting.  28mm is quite different from the mass-production I'm normally used to with 10mm or 15mm.  I can very quickly paint one of these guys up in an evening, and Ken and I have committed to playing a game mid to late June.

Speaking of plans, lots of ACW coming up on the horizon.  I'm going to try to play Live Free or Die set in the ACW like the most recent Littlewars TV Battle of Seven Pines, and I'm working on sorting out a scenario for Altar of Freedom for the first day of Gettysburg.  Lots of exciting ACW action coming up!

Since we're full of surprises today too, I picked up a few boxes of HaT 28mm El Cid Spanish to play "Soldiers of God" with Ken.  Readers of the blog will recall we played "Soldiers of Rome" this past winter and loved it!  The wife, who is Portuguese, naturally acquiesced to me fighting in the Reconquista!!  God Wills It!!!!


14 comments:

  1. Looking good man! Years ago I said "15mm or nothing" and that lasted about a minute. Looking forward to seeing a battle report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ski gonna be a couple weeks but I'll crack on!! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Good looking raiders! Watch your treasure chest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well they look perfectly fine to me! You have a nice mix of games in the offing which I look forward to reading about as and when they've been played:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work sir.
    I did the same thing and picked up some Vikings for the Ravenfeast thing too LOL ...mine are not out of the box though - never mind painted .

    Funny you should mention El Cid stuff. I got some cheap lead from Warrior miniatures, but I was going to use them (and Ravenfeast) for a Conan skirmish, as they seem to work for random eastern types and Aquilonians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Duc, im going to buy some Victrix Norman cavalry to go with them but the Crusader minis look nice!

      Delete
  5. Well they look good enough to me! What you need to do now is to watch the complete set of Michael Wood’s “In Search of…” series; that will really put you in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a surprising turn of events!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look really good, certainly worth starting a new scale for - I think you need the size for this sort of skirmishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan! My gaming buddies would agree with you!

      Delete