Wednesday, January 17, 2024

WIP Wednesday: Instant Village

Carrying on with the WIP Wednesday tradition (week 2) it's time to post on my weekly "progress" of what was shown during last week's WIP Wednesday.  As you could probably tell from the title, this week's post is all about buildings.  Last week we started on numerous timber framed buildings and we showed some "epic" surprises by way of Warlord Games' epic range(s).  Sad to say not much progress on the miniatures front this week, but we did get enough buildings for a village!

The "large country house" from Baccus.  I'm calling this guy done!

Austrians at the door.
This Baccus building looks good (IMHO) but was a pain to paint.  While I loved the raised details, there were alot of them and they took me quite some time.  Also the roof.  There are 4 shades on that roof and I probably could have brightened them up more but I'm keeping it as is!



I zoomed in close enough for you to see my mistakes but I love the "extra detail" of the Baccus buildings.  Besides shrubbery and a "kitchen garden" there are kegs or barrels of something outside.  When you invoke the "3 foot rule" this guy looks really good!



2 Story Timber Framed House from Gamecraft minis is done



This is the "country inn" from gamecraft minis.  I like how it turned out but a bit small next to the others.


A "village" base - could use a few more buildings

That's better!

Surprise #1 - A small Russian country log house from Baccus.  Complete with garden and fence.  This guy was an absolute joy to paint and I have many more!


And no WIP Wednesday would be complete without some "surprises"!  Here are some things you might not have been expecting 😁  I give you a little nostalgia...DAK and American micro armor based almost 20 years ago.  These have not graced a table in almost a quarter century.  I found them in the attic.  After some renovation and rehab they will be the spearhead of the German attack at Kasserine!

German recce.

every DAK force needs trucks!

And of course - panzers!  Lots and lots of Panzers!

American late-model Sherman.  This model will have to do for Kasserine.  I am on a budget!

It's a Crusader!  Many more where he came from :)


Yet more panzers!


The plan for these guys is to repaint all of them and rebase them like my other microarmor is based on small FOW bases.  They are all in desperate need of some TLC.  I plan on reviewing the OOB in the next few weeks then determining what I'll need to buy (if anything).

Finally, because it caused such a commotion last week, I'm posting another picture of my Rebs on sprues.  Their muskets are mostly painted and a few strips had their crossbelts painted this week, along with shoes, although I'm tempted to paint a few rebs as barefoot :)

Painted more hats, all of the rifle muskets, pants, shoes and a few other details but they're far from finished.  I plan on finishing these 2 x units this weekend.


Hope everyone is having a great week!



8 comments:

  1. Great stuff Steve! You may think you have not achieved a lot in the last 7 days, but I have done virtually nothing - except exercise my debit card replenishing my stocks of unpainted lead and plastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. My debit card is still hot to the touch from Christmas :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent work sir, and I do see Kasserine Pass coming over the horizon ether (it gets mentioned at least once a week now ;) ).
    Also 'the barefoot rebs' is an excellent name for a country and western band - but those figures looks superb in that scale - especially so with the paint job GAHHH! so tempting ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren I "painted" the first bare foot on a rebel trooper today! I like the name for a band. Or a BBQ restaurant 😋
      They look great when painted up. But they start to get monotonous when you paint hundreds of them!!
      Kasserine is approaching. You'll just have to stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. It is always a joy resurrecting old armies that have not graced the tabletop for a long time. Good luck with your WW2 Tunisian games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Peter. I suddenly was brought back to Friday night microarmor games at a friend's house back in 2004! That's the last time these troops fired a shot in anger.

      Delete
  4. Hi Steve, Wednesday progress is working out well (and no doubt keeping you targeted). Timber frame building are more of a pain to paint, but I think the evocative results are worth it every time. The Kasserine models and their basing gives a nice indication of the look of that project.

    It will be interesting to see whether you will even see the reb’s feet after basing, if a heavy flocking is going to be used, but I love the idea and I think part of the pleasure of painting your own troops is that if you know they are there … then they are there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm 2 weeks into WIP Wednesdays and so far so good! I realized I needed a bunch of timber framed buildings for any central Europe game as I had none painted so these moved quickly to the top of the pile.
      The desert microarmor is something and shows at least to me, how I've progressed through the years compared to how I paint and base now but they served their purpose dutifully! I'm going to base them like the rest of my microarmor and bring them in line with the rest of the collection where they deserve to be :)
      Regarding the rebs' feet I painted a few barefoot rebs as a surprise and will only be in one unit. In that way they act as a special unit all their own. Hopefully the flock won't cover!

      Delete