Tuesday, March 24, 2015

15mm Cold War US Troops - Woodland Camouflage

Wow painting these guys in their M81 woodland camo was a huge pain but I can't argue with the results.  The pictures don't do these guys justice but I have to admit, having a brush so obscenely small that you can't even purchase it in the "paintbrush" section at the art and craft store really helped.

I followed a tutorial found here.  While a 40k player, this guy paints his IG troops in all kinds of modern schemes, and he posts step by step guides!  Also, having Vallejo's Luftwaffe Green and Khaki helped as well.  And that obscenely small brush I forgot about...

This is probably the nicest camo I have ever painted, which isn't saying much but it's a marked improvement over previous attempts.  (okay, my 1/72 choco-chip desert was pretty good...)

First step basecoat brown.  Then I used a toothpick to apply the Luftwaffe Green.  Then this obscenely small brush for the khaki. Then Mr. Obscenely Small Brush for black.  The web gear (LBE, E-Tool, and canteens shown on these figures) is painted in GW's Death World Forest and it looks good enough.  Sealed with GW's "Purity Seal" - you take your miniatures' lives in your hands when you do that BTW...
 Bases still need sand and paint and flock but I'll get around to that.

I'm happy with them.
I guess I finally need to assemble those Bradleys huh?  That's OK I have a fleet of already painted M113s to use with them for the time being.

I believe the set I purchased was "US Force Advancing"

Next to a Zvezda M1A1 for scale.  Mounted on pennies.  1 cent per base!

I am very pleased with how they turned out.  But I wouldn't want to be the guy standing directly behind that 1500 horsepower powerpack grille.





Lots of painting still to go.  I've finished my "Middle Eastern Regulars" and I'll complete their bases and take pictures tomorrow before work.  Have another stand of French Napoleonic troops waiting (decided to knock out a base at a time for Naps and SYW - makes it much easier to do.)

Also:

 3 more squads of Canadians are primed and have their helmets painted.  I will knock out a squad of them tomorrow.

2 more squads of US GI's in ACU camouflage need to be redone and based.

SYW Prussian General needs his horse painted.

A few games in the work as I test out the "single based" concept.  First a skirmish game in 15mm (probably FUBAR) followed by a squad or platoon based game where I'll stick the same single-based 15mm troops on sabots and see how they do.


Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. Those are very good. Be proud of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ski. I am very happy with how they turned out. Took me long enough just to finish 6!

      Delete
  2. These are excellent Steve - really good indeed!
    The extra time you invest will be well worth it for the satisfaction you gain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! Woodland camo is a tough nut to crack. The quality and type of paint as well as the brush are so important in my humble opinion.

      Delete
    2. I know the feeling (from my ww2 brit Denizen smocks) but you cracked it nicely!

      Delete
  3. Whats not to be unhappy about. Fairly brilliant I think.

    Great work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul! The woodland is tough. Took me an hour to do 6 figures..

      Delete