So with all the exciting Cold War projects going on at the moment, I wanted to get this WWII classic on the blog before I forgot about him on my shelf!
You may be saying to yourself that the colors are all wrong. And you would be right! But I decided I was not paying $24.00 (US) plus shipping for 3 cans of Tamiya spray paint to be used on a plane that costs less than $7.00 (US) of which I have only 2!
Besides, the light and dark green did the job. Aside from the stupid texturing that came out of the paint can...That's another story (if anyone knows why that happens with this paint, I'm all ears. It's rustoleum "camouflage" light green. For some reason, it comes out of the can like it has sand or texturing material in it. it's ruined a few models of mine so far. I forgot it was my bad can when I painted this guy. Besides the Stuka, I now only use this can for wooden troop bases).
|I like the look of this guy. Can't wait to get him on the table!|
Despite Zvezda's best efforts at making a dummy proof model, I was still able to screw this plane up, too. I'll explain.
So all of my aircraft can be placed on clear plastic dowels which are drilled into large, flat wooden bases. (and they look quite nice). The airframe for this Stuka is narrow. I tried drilling it out with my cordless drill and of course I messed it up. So if you look at the rear portion of where the wings meet the fuselage, you'll see a larger than normal gap between the wing and the fuselage. That's because I drilled it out!
Instead I tried a big piece of blue-tac to affix the plane to the dowel. Worked like a charm.
You can read all about the JU-87 Stuka Dive Bomber here.
Anyways that's all on the hobby front today. The Mrs has me working outside on what is turning out to be a beautiful and warm fall day. So I can't complain....much.