Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Panzerblitz in Miniature & ACW-ruary WIP

Happy February - or should I say "Happy ACW-ruary!"  That's right, it's officially "ACW Month" if we're following the SOUND OFFICERS CALL gaming and painting schedule.  Games this month should be ACW games and the painting priorities "should" be SYW.  January saw a host of fun World War II games and blog posts along with plenty of WWII and ACW painting.  

This month I'm keen to bring out some ACW rules including Mr Neil Thomas' ACW rules from Wargaming: An Introduction and Ken, Dave, and I have a game of Altar of Freedom planned - this time we'll be refighting Shiloh in glorious 10mm!

PanzerBlitz in Miniature


But before I get into anything on the ACW festivities planned for February, tell me if this one has ever happened to you.  I wanted to finish WWII month out with a larger battle where stands = a platoon.  There are lots of choices but me being me, I had a brilliant idea to try and convert Panzerblitz, one of my college go-to favorites on Friday nights (yes my life was that exciting) to a miniatures game.  I turned to Google.  

Here is what came up when I searched "Panzerblitz in miniature":


Did you do a double take like I did?  Did you happen to notice 4 of those URLs were from SOUND OFFICERS CALL?  And with the old wood paneled basement!  I had to check it out.  The Google Time-Machine took me back to the days of 2014 when I had, apparently, played a game of PanzerBlitz in Miniature with Mr. Dan Fraser's (Canuck Commander) PanzerBlitz in miniature variant, and then promptly forgot about it.

  The game had lots of toys you see now on the table and looked like it was alot of fun.  Anyways, I've resolved to try it again and will definitely blog about it.  But I did have to laugh at my forgetfulness.  So if you're wondering about a rules concept or how a game plays, put it to Google - chances are you may have played it already...

ACW-ruary
February has started off strong on the hobby front with 3 more Regiments marching off of the parade yard and getting themselves ready for Shiloh with Greg Wagman's Altar of Freedom rules (yes, I'm quite sure I played those a year ago :)  

Strong Vincent on Little Round Top directing his Brigade's defense

Other rules I want to play this month are Black Powder ACW with the Glory Hallelujah supplement, Norm's "Two Flags, One Nation" rules, and Mr Neil Thomas' ACW rules from Wargaming: An Introduction.  An ambitious plan, but I can tell you that Shiloh with AoF is a must, and Black Powder is a must. I also have 4 more 10mm Infantry Brigades to paint in preparation for Shiloh.  The other games will be played in 15mm.

Of late I've been finishing up caulk roads for Shiloh as well as a few other painting projects in support of ACW month.

Country Roads, Take Me Home...Simple but effective 6/10mm roads for Shiloh.

Picture is a little deceiving - there have been at least 4 more Brigades painted since this was taken


If there isn't enough artillery...quit!  General Officers and Guns for Shiloh

The USS Tyler "timberclad" made from popsicle sticks...  Simple and crude but effective!

Well that's it.  If I can slip away, I want to retire to the gaming bunker and play a quick game of Neil Thomas' ACW rules.  Stay tuned!

17 comments:

  1. We all have ‘senior moments’ ☹️

    I love AOF! Frustrating as hell waiting for the arrival of that extra corps because you just have to deal with what’s in front of you rather than chivvy the reinforcements along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir it appears I've finally had my first one!

      AOF is a great game. I love the points bidding and the action unfolds as if you're reading about it in a history book. I cant think of a greater compliment than that!

      Delete
  2. You are keeping up with a frantic schedule, but the goals you have set are at least ensuring progress, progress, progress on all fronts.

    The ACW single stands look great (are they 60mm frontages?), as do the caulk roads and the gunboat does the perfect job for a Shiloh presence.

    Look forwards to the posts that fall out of all this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying, Norm. On the painting front I'm sorely lacking but I have managed 4+ games for the new year and yes I have stuck to the schedule.

      The idea of a monthly "priority" has been a mixed bag so far. On one hand, I like the idea of getting all of these eras and battles in for the year. On the other hand, I want to continue on with some WWII battles still, feeling i have not quite gotten that out of my system yet :)

      I set up the terrain for Shiloh already and will be putting down some 15mm troops first playing the entire battle with Neil Thomas' rules from Wargaming: An Introduction. A nice, simple, and fun set of rules that fits perfectly in with the parameters of the year.

      Yes the 10mm are based for Altar of Freedom on 2.5" stands so that should be 60mm.

      Stay tuned, lots of ACW action coming up this month!

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, it sounds horribly familiar when you have an idea for a game, only to realise you have played it before, but have completely forgotten about it!

    The ACW games sound fun and we played Shiloh a few years back using the excellent Bloody Big Battles rules. We only played the first day but it was great fun and something I would love to do again, when FtF gaming can resume. The figures look great and love the simple but highly effective boat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

      I own BBB but have not yet played them. Like Fire and Fury understand there are other period "variants" for BBB and I think I have a fan-produced WW2 version as well!

      Delete
  4. Love it - You are the Panzerblitz Czar sir! Well earned.
    Looking forward to ACW - AoF definitely - really like that one. TFON looks impressive too.
    I am told that the Glory H. supplement fixes Black Powder; I will await that one especially :)
    Great stuff. Keep up the impetus...ONWARD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren. Apparently I was the Panzerblitz czar back
      in 2014 lol!!

      Delete
  5. I forget games I have played and books that I have bought! Off to Google panzerblitz! I did start Squad leader in miniature I remember!
    I’m joining you with ACW this month - Blücher variant but look forward to seeing all your games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that you've forgotten too, Mike. How do you like the ACW Blucher variant? I want to try that out in the worst way. Perhaps I'll give it a spin this month!

      Delete
  6. Steve, you have a lot of activity going on at present. I hope you have been keeping up with your vitamins.

    I look forward to your Shiloh battle having fought over that ground many times, myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan! We'll see if I can get it all done!

      Delete
  7. Happy ACWruary! It’s my favorite month. You have an ambitious game schedule planned and I wish you. Good luck in getting it all done. I’m finishing some ACW units for my own celebration.
    I really like your roads; Shiloh has lots of roads. I’ll be following along with interest. And that’s a nice scratch built boat. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew you are too kind, sir. What will you do to celebrate ACW uary??

      Delete
    2. Nothing quite as cool as you. 😀
      My new baby prohibits any gaming but I’m planning to post up my newly finished ACW stands (probably this weekend ish) and then write a little bit about ACW rules; like a Lite review. Hope you’ll check it out. 😀

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to more John Denver... and the NT ACW report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jeffers, you wont have to wait long sir! I'm in turn 11 of Shiloh solo right now.

      Delete