Wednesday, April 24, 2024

WIP Wednesday: Air Support & Rommel Forward HQs

 

Another week, another WIP Wednesday post!  Too bad this isn't a BATREP but like the last post said, I've been busy!  Track season is in full swing with both children, school play practice, and lots of things happening at work of late, so not much activity on the gaming front, but I was able to slap some paint on these nice 6mm aircraft for the upcoming Kasserine game!

A JU-87 from Sturzkampfgeschwader 3 or StG 3, next to a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk - two of my all time favorite WWII Planes!

distinctive markings starting to appear on the planes now.  Not too bad for hand painted I guess.

Squadron markings on the Stuka and I'm calling him done!

Many prints of the Warhawk in North Africa had a sort of brown-on-tan scheme but I liked the more traditional look.

Very pleased with how they both turned out.  They're ready to serve as "air support" markers now!




Next up I wanted to get cracking on my DAK Command Stand and Rommel to join Peter's North African German ranks from "Grid Based Wargaming".  Since the bases are 40mm, I'm creating 2 x stands.  One with Rommel, and a more "generic" HQs stand.  That way the bases dont look too crowded.

Generic HQs stand with some generic HQs looking troops.  We have a command van and a Steyr heavy car I think.

Progress on the command stand that needs no introduction!  GREIF without the antenna array painted or affixed to the hull yet.  The Baccus 250/3 antennas I received are all bent in the WRONG direction...  All of the pictures i've seen of the "bedframe" antennas point downward in the front.  I'll see what I can do!

Some personnel, rocks, and desert vegetation will make this stand pop!

They're coming along!

Field Marshall Rommel with hands clasped behind back - still a WIP but this is WIP Wednesday after all!

The whole mess so far.

So that's it.  Not much to show for a week's painting but I'm happy with it all.  The North African stuff for Peter's collection is coming along nicely.  I will be writing out the final scenario for Kasserine this weekend and I'm hopeful to get a game in with Dave on the horizon!  Also keen to get a Valour and Fortitude game on the table soon.

10 comments:

  1. It all looks very nice Steve, particularly the Stuka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith! I am happy with the stuka. If only I could paint my 15mm planes the same way!

      Delete
  2. It is always interesting to read your WIP posts and see the Kasserine project steadily progressing. The models are looking good, the painting looks very neat and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter we are coming along. Not too much else to do now except type up the scenario, finish off the towns, and base the trees.

      Delete
  3. All progress is progress🙂. 6mm air support does look superb on a table.

    V&F is seeing quite a lot of interests across blogs at the moment, though their ACW lists don’t seem to have garnered the same interest. I hope they go on to do more, I know it has been a ton of work for the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Norm and with as crazy as things have been lately it's a wonder I got anything done at all!

      I have been meaning to post something about V&F on the blog and what I like about it. I played a Black Powder game a couple months ago and there was just so many things to remember that I was constantly looking things up.

      In my old age I prefer much less pages to thumb through!

      Delete
  4. Excellent work on the planes Steve, especially the hand painted markings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! They certainly pass the 3 foot rule. Any closer than that, though...

      Delete
  5. That looks like a pretty good weeks painting to me, aircraft always take ages. I'm very impressed with the hand painted US stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. 3 foot rule is in effect here! These tricks of mine would never work on a 15mm plane!

      Delete