Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Historicon Battlegroup Mega Game: Road to Ponyri!

I wanted to post a few more pictures of the terrific Battlegroup: Kursk mega game David and I participated in at historicon!

German objectives are at the far end of the woods and also the far end of the entrenchments.  We were supporting an attack farther to the left against Ponyri-1.  A river crossing!

My Panzers move out!  
 David and I realized that to attack through the woods would probably be madness, considering Ivan had probably a full platoon + in the woods and bunkers!  Reinforced concrete bunkers!  So we decided to bank on our "mobility" in the form of our tanks and 251 halftracks....

 Something interesting, and historical, ended up happening during our painful slog forward.  The infantry got stripped away by Soviet artillery fire, exactly as happened during the actual battles during Kursk.  Our armor made it where they wanted to go, but couldn't assault or hold any objectives!

My armor, quickly followed by Dave's armor skirting the trenchline.  This was 1 turn before disaster when an errant artillery shell scored a direct hit on my halftrack taking out the entire squad inside!  

A better view of the GMs and our advancing forces.  (by the way, the GMs put on an outstanding game!)   The Soviets made good on their tons and tons of ATR teams but that was to our advantage beacuse as we took them out (only 2 troopers) we forced a chit draw.

better view of the river crossing operation on the far left.  The Germans on the left were aiming for a break in the woods to make their crossing.  From my understanding, the engineers never made it on the table!  
 River crossings are tough.  Probably even tougher when there are vicious Ivans throwing the kitchen sink at you.
1 turn's worth of work for Soviet artillery.

David plotting his next move.

and adjusting his glasses!
 Lots of people stopped by to check the game out as well.  Not as many toys as a flames of war game, but definitely a spectacle to behold.  Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE the Kursk / Ponyri campaign!

Ivan threw infantry through the wheatfield to block us.  My panzers cut them down.
 My infantry were able to claw their way into the Soviet trench but were promptly destroyed by Soviet counter attacks.  We never did reach that objective (or the forested one - David's tanks made it but Ivan's morale collapsed before there was a big assault).

 In an interesting stroke of luck, David had an opportunity to outright kill the Soviet ground commander - but didn't realize it was him.  That's probably what this pic below is saying!





German infantry clawing their way into the Soviet trench!  Lots of KO's German equipment taken out by the AT gun in the bunker....
 All in all a GREAT time and frankly resurrected my spirits in Battlegroup: Kursk!  I may head into the basement and rescue my "Skirmish Campaign" game "Red Guards and Kursk" and "GrossDeutschland at Kursk!"

That's all!

12 comments:

  1. That is a great looking game- thanks for posting the pictures.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. It was a blast. Really restoked my interest in battlegroup.

      Delete
  2. Well done mate. Kursk is a favourite of mine as well.

    Excellent post and a good outing by the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Paul. You cant beat a great Kursk infantry slogging match and the more tanks the better!

      Delete
  3. Great fun!

    I have the second of those Skirmish Titles, specifically to use for BG:K games too. Haven't gotten my head around just how to do that quite yet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      Im thinking ill just use the troops from the scenarios and assign a breakpoint and go from there. I love how the scenarios and campaigns build upon themselves.

      Delete
    2. Paul,
      Im thinking ill just use the troops from the scenarios and assign a breakpoint and go from there. I love how the scenarios and campaigns build upon themselves.

      Delete
  4. I really appreciated those Potomac Wargamers fellas for hosting the game, truly nice guys. Thank goodness for the miscalculation by the Russian player and placing of his bunkers so deeply in the forest. I have a feeling that those guns would have placed us a suicide mission had they not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely David. If he'd put just one more in the open facing our axis we'd have been up a creek. His 76mm had 100% success rate provided it hit my vehicles.

      Delete
  5. Some excellent pics and commentary. Do you also think you'll be more keen to look at 'The Last Hundred Yards' again. I've been reading your thoughts on that again, and it's making me think about SL level scenarios once more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darren,
      Yes must find the time to re look at them! Right now my basement is in tattered disarray after we had new windows installed down there (should make for cozier winter gaming).

      I've been itching for some WW2 squad level combat anyways! That might be worth a look soon.

      Busy week this week as I'll be partially away with work but this coming weekend is a possibility.

      Delete