Sunday, September 15, 2019

BLUCHER Game: Along the Danube, 1809

Dave and Ken were over to fight "half" a game of Blucher today, playing the 1809 introductory "Along the Danube" scenario with my 10mm miniatures.  Brian also made a short appearance as an observer.  I say "half" a game because we got through 15 out of 30 rounds, which is a pity because the action was really heating up towards the gaming day's end!  So settle in with some schnapps or brandy and let's get to it!

All set up for Blucher last night.  Terrain placed, blinds in position and the Army are fitfully sleeping within cannon-reach of each other with 1 Army on the fireplace and the other on the windowsill.
I should note this was the first appearance of Napoleonic French and Austrian reinforcements from "JustJack" on my table.  I'm a little self conscious because they're painted way nicer than mine!

Dave, the Austrian commander, placing his ArmeeKorps.  Ken, playing the French commander, will set up second.

I Corps d'Armee activates and moves out!  In Blucher, units are revealed when they activate.  Dave kept as many units unactivated as he could although he activated all of his artillery to shoot at the French

French II Corps moves out!


Ken's I Corps and Cavalry Corps become intermixed while testing the Austrian right flank.  Dave would anchor his right on a hilltop with a "prepared" brigade.

In a very surprising move, the Austrian reserve cavalry corps moves out to meet the French!  Dave's aggressive strategy is to meet the French in a series of spoiling attacks, trying to take the fight to them and not allow them to deploy.  It's a good move, but seriously costly for him.


A good portion of the French have not activated yet

French Cavalry surges over the hills to attack the Austrians!

What a mess!  The Cavalry are stacking up and can't move while the infantry move forward to fight the Austrians.

Note the heavy Cuirassier attack in lower left.  Dave quickly learns the lesson of being "prepared"


Heavy Combat!

Illegally dressed Hungarians  (with helmets) move up, revealed by French probes close to the lines.  Note the avant garde brigade behind them.

JustJack's Grenzers or Jaegers or whatever!  They look awesome.

Speaking of Jack's forces, this entire corps is Jack's splendidly painted stuff!  Which looks WAY better than mine!!!  This is an outstanding picture, by the way.  It's what Napoleonic gaming is all about!


Ken trying to launch spoiling attacks against a spoiling attack!
 Dave is battering Ken's lead elements.  It's a risky move but it's paying off as Ken has lots of problems on his side of the table to deal with.  Heavy fire though will wear down Dave's cavalry he used to launch spoiling attacks.  Dave loves using his cavalry like a battering ram and Blucher allows you to do that perfectly.

Meanwhile the Austrian I ArmeeKorps remains comfortably behind the Danube!  They would go the entire fight quiet without discharging a single musket.

Red-hot muzzles of the Austrian guns as weary gunners hump crate after crate of powder and shot!

Dave continues to push into the French lines but he's starting to take casualties.

Infantry reroll successes against cavalry if they're not prepared....ouch!

Dave continues to try and push into the French.  The French I Corps is taking a heavy beating.  III Corps on the French right is trying to contain a cavalry breakthrough, and II Corps can't come up yet!


French III and II Corps containing the Austrian Cavalry attacks.  They'd take fire from 3 separate French Brigades!


Cuirassier battering ram!

More French heavy horse.  They'd charge right at the hill against the Austrian gunners, destroying that battery.

French III Corps still dealing with the Austrian Hussars

Meanwhile more Austrian Heavies coming back!


French Cavalry Corps traffic jam!

Horse artillery leapfrogs back up to the front line and opens fire on the Hungarians

Ken had to leave and I take over for a couple turns.  I use a command order and am able to form a solid line back with the I Corps.  unfortunately the cavalry are arrayed to overrun Austrian infantry, but will take a bunch of small arms fire before doing so.

I Corps' situation

II Corps sorting themselves out.  With 15 turns left, I'm ready to use them to over-run the hill objective, then hopefully turn the ArmeeKorps that's blocking along the Danube.

Those Hussars would be the first French unit to break.

Confused fighting in every direction!

The Butcher's Bill - 5 Broken Austrian units by Turn 15, mostly consisting of the Austrian Reserve Korps, whom Dave used to spoil the French movements.  It was definitely out of character for the Austrians, but very effective.  While there were 15 turns left, It would be interesting to see how the Austrians counter the French advance from here.  Dave had 2 Artillery units retired.  

French II Corps and III Corps awaiting orders!


French Cavalry and I Corps!  Still plenty of fight left.



Wow, what a great and fun game.  A real battle!  This game was thrilling and full of reversals of fortune on both sides.  We all fumbled through the first couple turns and gradually things started to really sink in, and then the business of attacking and moving began in earnest.

Some thoughts - Blucher is an attritional game and players really need to keep reserve forces.  There is a price to pay for attacking and it will wear your troops down quickly.

I love the various types of activation possibilities and the unknown MO system.  I also like the "look" of the battlefield as the action unfolds.  It certainly conforms to my thoughts of what a Napoleonic battlefield "should" look like, if that makes any sense.  I also instantly see the possibility of running a very large battle with these rules, more so than a more conventional rules set like Age of Eagles or even Black Powder.

Also, I like that you need to think like an Army commander as 15-30 turns is a long time and alot can happen!  Like CCN, the Army needs a battlplan to try and stick to, and Blucher lets you carry out that plan.  In fact I like the flexibility that the commanders have with these rules.  The battle also creates a fantastic narrative that unfolds just like a Napoleonic battle!

This game is a winner in my book and I will definitely play Blucher again. I rank it up there with CCN as one of my favorites for more grand tactical action.  Black Powder is still my go-to for tactical battles. 


17 comments:

  1. glad someone had fun wargaming this weekend. I will be up to my ears in MDMP for the next couple of days, so will enjoy vicariously.

    Is Blucher the Sam Mustafa game that comes with unit cards to play it if you don't hvae figs? I think you were telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow MDMP! Sounds like fun ;)
      Yes Blucher is that game with the cards that you can use if you dont have figs. You will see many familiar things with ECTBC, conceptually speaking.

      Delete
  2. Lovely game and lovely figures, I’m going to keep coming back to this post. Cheers Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking game with beautiful figures, impressive Cuirassier attack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds fantastic sir. A great 'big battle narrative.
    Are your bases 2"x2" in V&B style.
    I did have an idea to do 3x3 bases with 54mm miniatures for Blucher, so you are inspiring me to look at it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Darren! So we used 3 x 3 bases, since I have a ton from Volley & Bayonet. The units fit perfectly fine on them.
      54mm would be amazing to see on the table!

      Delete
  5. Good looking game, those look like Old Glory 10's.
    I'm not familiar with the Blucher rules but they seem to deliver a fun game which is what counts ultimately!
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you sir! They are mostly all Old Glory 10mm - one of the Austrian Cuirassier units were Pendraken. The rest are all OG.

      Delete
  6. Very fun to see a table full of 10mm Napoleonics. For 10mm, I think Old Glory is the way to go. The 10mm strips look great en masse on a large table. My 10mm ACW collection uses Old Glory almost exclusively. No regrets here.

    Excellent battle report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you Jonathan! I have switched between favoring 15mm and 10mm for ages but I think 10mm is my go-to scale for all things Napoleonic now!

      Delete
  7. Great looking game

    10mm Wargaming, Your number one destination for 10mm Wargaming News, Reviews.
    https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

    My 10mm Wargaming
    https://www.10mm-wargaming.co.uk/

    Take care

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff, as always, Steve! But you gotta quit with the fawning; first, the stuff you did looks fantastic, and second, you're giving me a big head. I'm very happy to see you getting some use out of them, very cool. The game looked great, and looked to be a lot of fun. I'm kinda intrigued by Blucher, though I have yet to make the investment. I want to get some troops together for a tactical game using Songs of Drums and Shakos Large Battles, but kinda tough as I sold my stuff off ;)

    Someday... Looking forward to more.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Glad you liked the BATREP and thanks. I can't help it if I dig your painting style! They're going to continue to get some use as I'm mostly going 10mm for Naps these days. The 15mm stuff is likely going to be sold off. Which is a shame. Wait a minute - you in the market for some cheap 15mm naps? I have Peninsula, 100 Days French and Allies :) Tons and tons of decently painted lead. It's yours for 100 bucks OBO!! I'll even consider some of it and not all of it. i have Brits, Brunswickers, Dutch-Belgian, French, and Bavarian (different theater for a different purpose.)

      BLucher is a great game if you like "Army level" type command. Talking multiple Corps. It's alot of fun and gives a bang-up game.

      Delete
    2. Steve,

      Yeah man, that was a fun read, and I'm looking forward to more. You know, of course, that I'm going to end up buying more Napoleonics, I can't help myself ;)

      Wait, $100? Are you serious? My goodness... Hold on, I really gotta ponder that, and need to look through pics on your blog to re-acquaint myself. Do me a favor, hold that for a couple days, if you can, let me look. Any kind of count (like "ten four-base infantry battalions, four three-base cavalry regiments")? Doesn't have to be perfect, doesn't have to by country, just curious how many units would each 'side' have. Wow man. My immediate inclination is to say 'yes,' and Paypal you right now, but let me calm down first ;)

      I'm intrigued by Blucher, but now I can't think about that!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    3. No BS either. 100 bucks for everything or a trade. Ill send you a figure count with pics this evening so you can see what i have. Meanwhile surf around the blog and take a look.

      Delete