Sunday, January 29, 2017

15mm German Sniper for CROSSFIRE

Don't you hate it when you need a sniper figure and don't have one?  So do I.  Friday night's excellent Crossfire game duo the German player had 2 snipers as part of his force.  Pretty sweet deal if you ask me, but only using "regular" infantry figures is for the birds.

Anyways I was fishing around and found some done, done-over, and half-done plastic German battlefront figures from the Open Fire box.  Awesome!  Most of my eastern front kit is wearing standard feldgrau, so this dude in the smock or zeltbahn shelter half is literally perfect.  Granted, this was painted before the days of me reading "nordalia paint formulas" but you get the idea.

A little grass glued to his helmet makes him a more elite soldier instantly!


zvezda box art for their sniper pack
skulking around, looking for the next target.

I love how this dude turned out and am going to make a stable of snipers for these games.
 While I think it would be better to have a prone figure firing, this looks like he's running to a hide sight or beating-feet after he's been spotted.

let me get out of these woods!

On second though, how about I get the hell BACK into these woods!


And of course, a gratuitous shot of the table below, which is now 90% done.  I added more flock to the already existing grassy shapes to give it a little more color but still retain that "parched" look of summer.  Enjoy the pic of next week's game - Neil Thomas Napoleonics already set up.  This will be a portion, or a bath-tubbed whole, of the Battle of Hanau, 1813 when the Bavarians under Wrede took on Napoleon and what was left of his forces.  This should be another quick one with 6 to 7 battalions on a side along with some artillery and cavalry for a complete battle.  Huzzah!


15 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job on that cammo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Now that i have more accurate colors they should look even better.

      Delete
  2. Your sniper looks great Steve- love the camo colours and the helmet foliage is perfect (its way too easy to overdo that). I quite like the dynamic pose vice a braced firing position - looks like he is rapidly relocating after taking a shot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought so about the pose, that was what i was going for Paul!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work on the sniper, and that terrain board looks even better in that last shot. Much better than a standard grass cloth.

    Will be good to see the results of the NT 1Hw game too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren! Oh, this game will be the "full blown" NT Napoleonics rules as opposed to 1HW. I havent played his H&M rules in awhile. I thought it was about time!

      Delete
  5. Very nice, detailed works,
    these must see

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking sniper - love the effect the grass on his helmet has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dannoc. I did this with my Vietcong troops a few years ago and it worked well.

      Delete
  7. Plastic, eh? Looks great, Steve, loving the grass on the helmet.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah surprisingly the pkastic 15mm dudes from battlefront are the cat's whiskers. I like them almist as muvh as their metal brothers. Almost.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, plastic 15mm has come a long way and looks great. I wasn't impressed with how flat some of the initial offerings were, but the issue seems to have been figured out.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete