Sunday, August 12, 2018

Dunn-Kempf: The OPFOR WIP

This weekend I was able to work a little on my Soviet "horde" of tank companies, carriers, and support vehicles including the recce platoon, AT platoon, and AAA platoon.  They're not done yet - probably about 80% now I just need to do some flocking and re-mount the infantry from pennies to larger stands.

First up are the tanks and Infantry Fighting Vehicles.  The total maneuver force is 31 x T-62s organized into 3 x companies of 10 tanks, and the Battalion Commander's tank.  Also a cross-attached mechanized infantry company in BMP-1s.

Proud T-62s.


The 3 companies followed by the BMPs, and behind them are the support platoons.  Lots of Red Steel!

Sprayed PSC Rusian Armor Green, inked, then dry brushed khaki.  The tracks are painted rust and the ditch bars are painted also.  Pretty simple ,but effectively "Soviet"

BMPs

Saggers painted white more as reminders than anything else.  
 The ground texture is either vallejo sand or vallejo "european mud" painted tamiya flat earth.  It will be very lightly dry brushed and flocked soon enough.

Probably worth mentioning here that my desert Arab-Israeli forces will get the same treatment.  These guys are being based for TEAM YANKEE in 6mm, DUNN KEMPF, etc.  They're all based on Team Yankee/ FOW sized small bases.  I plan on doing this same thing for WW2 as well to play FOW.



Command vehicles were given something "distinctive" about their paintjob.  In this case, this company commander's tow cable was painted rusty.  Note this is the color of the vallejo mud before I painted it.

 In TEAM YANKEE or FATE OF A NATION the platoon leader's vehicle must be distinguishable so these SAGGER ATGM  vehicles have a red "star" on their platoon leader's hull.  Same with the recon boys, and the Anti Aircraft Artillery.



Note the red dot on the turret.

Forward Command post / FO and spotter vehicles.


Finally for the infantry commander's track, there is a red stripe around the SAGGER round atop the 73mm gun.
That's all for now.  Work is a bear lately so I'll be off the net for a little bit.  Stay tuned, though.  More on Dunn Kempf coming up like working out the "To Hit" and "To Kill" percentages, as well as Orders of Battle, maps for the battle, fireplanning, and of course the West Germans, which I am hoping Dave can send me pictures of so I can post for the project.  Until next time have a great week everyone!

14 comments:

  1. Superb work!
    Very much looking forward to the DK stuff to come.
    (I went and ordered a copy of the rules - so will be great to see the discussion).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outstanding Darren. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Be advised - the III Corps tables in the back are heavy on information but light on explanation. Took me awhile of staring at it to realize the "firepower" tables were entry arguments for the to kill table.

      Stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip Steve. Will print off the QR sheet for reference too, as I read through the rules.
      My moderns are based on 1.25" bases for Spearhead, but that shouldn't really be an issue for play.

      Delete
  2. I having a flash back ! LOL, well done buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my blog is giving you giid old fashioned "Army trainin' " flashbacks then ive done my job sir! Scouts Out!

      Delete
  3. Great looking BN. I tried to distinguish my command stands by adding a couple infantry figures, but that was for Modern Spearhead. Conversely you can add in a lighter colored bush with some flocking. I find the biggest challenge is just keeping unit cohesion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DF. I still need to work on the infantry. Right now theyre based on pennies or small, wooden discs. Very finicky. Im going remount them all on FOW small bases. I was thinking about putting infantry on the bases for the commanders but opted to keep the manuever bases "clean." That said for the FO track and spotter vehicle i could jazz the stands up a little bit with some FOs skulking around and shrubbery!

      Delete
  4. Looking good man, can’t wait to see some fights. I wish I knew you were looking at Cold War 6mm, I’ve got a bunch lying around I probably need to sell off...

    Just got back from vacation, didn’t get anything wargame-related done, but finished a book on Operation Epsom and now have a jonesing for some 6mm WWII action around Caen.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And some terrific fights you will get sir! Going to steamroll over some NATO crunchies with these badboys.

      Some Caen action eh? What rules may i ask? IABSM??

      Delete
    2. Yeah man, I’m looking at using Blitzkrieg Commander on a 6’ x 4’ table.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
    3. BKC is perfect for a big fight like that.

      Delete
    4. That’s what I’m hoping. I was surfing the net and found this:
      http://wargamesinthedungeon.blogspot.com/search/label/Blitzkrieg%20Commander?m=0

      I’m inspired, new toys are on the way!

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete
  5. Wow nice to see the old micro armor out.

    ReplyDelete