Wednesday, May 8, 2024

WIP Wednesday: Fifty Shades of Field Grey

 

Sorry to those whom the google algorithm brought here expecting something else.  For the usual crowd, more of the same (lack of) progress 😁

This week is all about the Prussians as the SOC team dives into our first sprue of Epic Napoleonic Prussians...

The artillery crewmen get their first uniform slapped on.

The usual complaining and griping about the Epic figures aside, I have to admit once I got the straps for the backpacks painted, I started to enjoy painting these guys.  The Napoleonics are almost all mindlessly the same which is comforting and makes them very quick run-throughs, kind of like the ACW Union troops.

A brigade commander

Prussian Line Infantry - Just the muskets and packs to go

There are at least 4 grey colors that have been used on these fellows since I've started.  A heavy dry brush of "pewter grey", with the paints and bedroll painted in "rain grey", then the bedrolls were painted over again in "light grey", with the pants finished in "hippo grey".  For the accoutrements on their backs, I was thinking of using a charcoal grey but I have to check as the pack may be a leather brown color.  Off the top of my head I have no idea.

A Prussian Line Regiment

They're not bad.  Like the others, I think they're good enough to paint another one up!

I have been thinking of another project and while Kasserine is finished, Ligny (or portions thereof) is probably the next Napoleonic Battle I'd like to tackle with Valour and Fortitude.  There is a good Black Powder Ligny scenario, or I could start smaller and play Norm's old St Amand scenario.

Anyways that's mostly what I have for everyone this week.  In other news, I did complete Peter's DAK Command Stand, but you'll have to wait until he receives it before I post any pictures as it's a surprise!  I plan on getting it in the mail this week.  So we all are at the mercy of the various mail services around the globe.  God help us!

And speaking of 6mm, I was looking at GHQ microarmor Italians last night, thinking of having a go a the 1941-42 battles with microarmor and Rapid Fire, Flames of War, or Battlegroup.  Stay tuned and suffer along with me!






10 comments:

  1. Your Epic figures look great Steve...if I didn't already have 3.5 armies (French, Austrian and British,plus Portuguese, who are the .5!) I would probably start an Epic collection.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith! I foolishly started another scale even though I have a huge collection of 10mm Naps... I just couldnt help myself as the epic guys looked so cool...so now I have napoleonic armies in 2 different scales lol. I figure I'll play tactical battles with the epic stuff and more operational battles with the 10mm stuff

      Delete
    2. I agree with Keith. Your Epic Prussians look fab. With your paint color names, do you use Delta Ceramcoat by any chance?

      Delete
    3. Thank you Jonathan and good catch! Yes I use Delta Ceramcoat for quite a few colors, as well as "Folk art" from the craft stores.

      Delete
  2. The Prussians have turned out nicely. I think the packs are indeed brown, which gives a bit of contrast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin! Yes the brown packs will be nice after all the greys!

      Delete
  3. Nice Prussians Steve, the light grey on these chaps really helps the figures to pop. The St. Amand does allow both the scenario and the figure collection to grow together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I intentionally made the color on the bedroll/overcoat brighter for that reason- I wanted them to "lighten up" a bit.

      I'm way off from playing an epic game though (still have to paint the French and most of the Prussians)

      Delete
    2. There are a lot ……. and then they bring out Epic Hail Caesar! 🙂

      Delete
    3. I was tempted for a minute I won't lie!! The attractive part is the box has the entire army (and their opponents!) in it, whereas for my fledgling ancient and dark age armies I have to buy small components of the army.

      Say...I wonder how they scale next to my existing ancients!!!

      Delete