Tuesday, January 11, 2022

New Year - New Gaming Area

Continuing on with the New Year's theme (11 days into 2022) I thought a change was in order in the gaming bunker.  For those of you following the blog for the last 5 years, you'll remember the last change was in 2017 when the basement underwent a massive overhaul.  (read about the expensive insanity starting at the link in the previous sentence with SAPPERS FORWARD!).  

This time I just moved the furniture and gaming table around, but it looks good, doesn't it?  

The new & improved Sound Officers Call gaming bunker - a place you'd want to game in!

The painting desk has been turned 90 degrees and sits against the east wall of the basement now (vrs the south wall under the long window).  It's worth mentioning this was the arrangement I had when we first moved in and I claimed this space in the name of miniature wargaming...

The small "hutch" in the back right comes from my grandfather's house and was where my grandmother stored all of her knick-knacks.  I'm happy to report it's been repurposed as a storage area for much of my gaming paraphernalia.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm incredibly fortunate to have a dedicated gaming and hobby space, and to look at this area just makes me want to set up a game and invite people over to play in it!  

I've been reading up on rules lately (Blucher, Fate of Battle by Buck Surdu, Absolute Emperor to name a few) and have been busy hatching my spending plans for 2022 (curtailed significantly this year) as well as gaming plans and am hoping to make the best use of my time.  

Also - apparently the AWI project wasn't finished.  I discovered 24 British and 24 American loose AWI  15mm figs.  They're on the painting blocks now and they'll have a shed-load of drummers and NCOs but it's another unit of 6 bases each for Live Free or Die bringing my total stand count up to 102 stands for both British and American.  Could a reply of Germantown or Brandywine become a reality this year???

Anyways, I'm looking forward to lots of great games in 2022.


15 comments:

  1. That's certainly a very impressive gaming area and yes, you are lucky to have a space to use. I am hoping once both my adult children move out, I can either repurpose one of the three spare bedrooms we will be left with or, if we move to a new house altogether, that I can incorporate a potential gaming area into the deal...not holding my breath that any of this will happen though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sir!! Also that is precisely why I didnt post a "2022 Plans" email! because the fates have been wreaking havoc on my gaming plans the last 2 years!

      Delete
  2. Looks a nice set-up Steve. Have you got an office desk tucked away there on the right at the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sir! I wish I had an office down here. that is a "bilco" door that leads outside.

      Delete
    2. well it leads to a set of steps that leads outside :)

      Delete
  3. A gamer should never underestimate the value and importance of having a dedicated gaming space. I wouldn’t have a home without one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice gaming area Steve, I would like such a space where I could keep my bigger / longer playing boardgames set up over several days, it makes those sort of games much more likely to get played.

    Hope to see some ‘Live Free or Die’ games on your table and your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and stay tuned, Norm! It's coming! I already have enough stands for a small battle like Princeton or Hubbardton. I may post a scenario to the blog for a Hubbardton scenario.

      yes the toy soldiers do like having their own room so they can continue the fight and not be picked up during the heat of battle :)

      Delete
  5. I like the addition of a pot plant so you can claim the room is not just for your toys…

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is indeed a nice space Steve and one that I can onlt dream of at present. Maybe one day when the kids/young adults have flown the nest I might be able to grab a spare bedroom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! I've already informed my daughter when she moves out one day her room will be my gaming room!

      Delete
  7. That's a grand place to play a game. Good room, nice light, nearby figures to fawn over while you play!

    ReplyDelete