Wednesday, March 6, 2024

WIP Wednesday: "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am..."

 


An interesting title for a blog post at Sound Officers Call to be sure but I received an interesting, mysterious but much anticipated package in the mail today.  It would have been more appropriate with "everything is proceeding as I have foreseen"...

From none other than the Dark Lord himself!

This heralded the arrival of "those curious chaps" (you'll have to google it) from a well-known 15mm miniatures company in the USA.  Purchased to play skirmish games with my kids (I'm not even a huge "galactic" wars fan but I've watched most of the movies with my children and it turns out there is some incredible fodder for wargaming in them.....and it also turns out that I'm probably the last person on this planet to figure this out).

Anyways you didn't come here to read my silly writing!  Take a look at these "troopers who would weather any storm":
The detail on them is exquisite!  


Rebel Minis' "Sahadeen" Line - photo used without permission from the Rebel Minis site - they are now "Rebel Scum"  These guys arrived in the mail a few days ago and I will be painting them soon.  "All in good time".

Continuing on with the Sci-Fi theme albeit in a different genre, I have some really outstanding 15mm Scale Chaos Space Marines that I'm going to paint up as a test unit for "Grimdark Future: Firefight", free from One Page Rules, which I'm keen to play soon.  These guys are 3d prints from Etsy and I'm very happy with them.  I have regular Not Space Marines and Orcs as we ll and will showcase them in another post once i'm ready to paint them.

I cant remember but I think these guys are plague-marines



and the Chaos baddies will need an army to fight.  I've got these 15mm dudes all basecoated and will begin painting soon!

Back from a Galaxy far, far away, or the grimdark future of the 41st millennium, the post continues with your regularly scheduled "WIP Wednesday" progress report.  First up is the latest sprue from my Epic Pike and Shotte box.  Remember, with my basing scheme, 1 sprue makes 2 full Pike and Shotte units.

Very happy with how these fellows turned out


They took way too long to paint



Already started on my next Pike and Shotte sprue.  At this rate, I'll have enough infantry for a battle in a month or so (at current progress levels).  The cavalry on the other hand?  I just need to buckle down and paint them.  And more artillery.  And more generals...

In keeping with the Epic theme, my first sprue of Napoleonic Prussians is also coming underway.  These fellows have a heavy grey dry brush, followed by a generous slathering of Prussian Dark Blue or whatever.  They're OK.  I'm trying to hurry with them again so of course they look terrible at the moment but hopefully that improves.  I'm keeping the 2 scales, as I'm going to use the Epic guys for Commands and Colors: Napoleonics and potentially some more tactical horse and musket games.

Night....or the Prussians!


And finally, moving onto Kasserine preparations, I was able to finish up some tiny, North African rural mosques to go into some of my built up hexes.

The cheapest terrain you'll see all day.  Small pine cubes from amazon, with milliput domes and a matchstick minaret.  The palm trees still need to be painted but they've been basecoated at least now!  

These tents will serve as Corps and Army HQs for the Kasserine game, and supply depots.

That's everything for now.  I hope everyone is having a great week!

13 comments:

  1. The Pike and Shot units look fabulous, and those mosques have turned out really well. I need a few more North African buildings myself, so I may end up making a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. They still need ground cover and flock but they're coming along nicely.
      Re the mosques I'm happy with them. I'm going to make a few middle eastern dwellings using those pine cubes glued together in rows next but buildings for kasserine will be no problem between these and monopoly houses.

      Delete
  2. The epic units look great Steve....and just the right size, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keith I had fun painting them but they take forever to look respectable IMHO. The ACW guys are much easier. So far the Napoleonic Prussians have been easy, but I'm dreading the knapsacks and straps!!😱

      Delete
  3. The Epic are looking great and well worth the extra attention to detail. Getting them to the point of putting game down can only help the enthusiasm to do more.

    When I bought into Warlords Prussians, they were giving away a rattle can of dark blue, which I assume they saw as the fastest way to break into them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice mix of stuff there Steve, but apart from the first Star Wars film that kicked it all off, I never really liked the others. Heresy I know! Those Epic figures so seem to take an age to paint, based upon many comments on other Blogs. Still they do look good but you do question as to whether it's all worth the effort...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve I don't think it's heresy. The sole purpose of the movies was to make money. I don't remember seeing a huge advertising Blitz after the first but remember the crazy amounts of toys and merchandise and cool stuff after "return". I've watched the ones that recently came out over the last 2 decades and thought all of them sub par and very poorly written compared to the first 3 released.

      Regarding the epic figs, food for thought for another blog post. Time will tell as to whether the effort was worth it. I'm not sure yet but I'm still painting them....

      Delete
  5. An interesting and eclectic mix I can relate to. Nice progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dartfrog. All a WIP and the WIP Wednesday posts have been keeping me honest.

      Delete
  6. Excellent stuff sir. Love the 30yw minis - gahh - trying to resist...
    I also recently bought Ivan Sorenson's new pdf WW2 rules : 'History Dad' for skirmish - right up to company level. ..my immediate thought was how good they might be for SciFi skirmish too. Worth a look, or i can send you the QRS ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! Hey I saw those rules come out, Darren, and they looked interesting. Sure would love to see the QRS :)

      Delete