Wednesday, April 3, 2024

WIP Wednesday: Breakthrough in North Africa!


 Some huge breakthroughs achieved on the North African front this week as reinforcements poured in via the mail (and making better progress than the German PanzerArmee Afrika steamers from Italy to Tunis I might add!)

Not only did Peter's palm trees arrive, but our "air support" for both sides showed up in force, fresh out of the 3D printing factories in their home nations!  (actually both from Canada and a supplier on Ebay).  The air support was a critical element to moving forward but now that I have the markers in, I can begin painting them!

Black buildings still need their paint but we're making progress!


JU-87 fresh from the factory

The Stuka next to 1/285 infantry for scale.

The P-40 Warhawk!  One of my favorite planes of all-time! (aircraft engine and machine gun noises are mandatory when handling....)

Will have the camo painted on these guys and that's it!

Work continues apace on the scenario design for Kasserine Pass and I am still working on the blog post for the "Scenario Considerations" and will be next looking to make the hexmap for the scenario next.  If anyone has some free map-making software they know of where I can plop a hexgrid and some hills and roads down, please feel free to send the link along!


I'm shooting for not this Friday, but perhaps the following *gaming* Friday for a Kasserine Pass game with my buddy Dave (on or about 19 April) which should give me ample time to wrap up painting the aircraft, basing up the palm trees and finishing up more building hexes for villages.  This Friday will likely be a Napoleonic game to test out "Scenario#31: Echeloned Attack".  

Oh, you didn't know One Hour Wargames has 31 scenarios?  

LAST POST ON BLOOD PACT TROOPERS!  I PROMISE!

The Blood Pact Infantry project is done and ready for a game.  Too bad my Planetary Defense Forces still need their ground cover, but we're almost done with this project.  Thinking of playing a few skirmish type games with them including Neil Thomas' Skirmish Rules from Wargaming: An Introduction, "One Hour Skirmish Wargames", and of course "Grimdark Future".  The next time you all will see them will be in a game.


A proof of concept planetary defense trooper in there as well.




More DAK Reinforcements Arrive From....Great Britain???

Bear with me I'm going somewhere with this.  I am assembling a small (6mm) surprise for Peter from Grid-Based Wargaming in return for his Palm Trees in the form of a 6mm Command Stand for his Afrika Korps troops in the form of the man himself - Erwin Rommel!  


Using Baccus' "German High Command" pack (WGA01), and the SdKfz 250/2 and 250/3 pack (radio and telephone command tracks) I'm assembling Rommel's command staff and HQs track (GREIF) to serve as a DAK command stand for Peter's 6mm North Africa games.  I absolutely cannot wait to start this project!!!  The high command set even comes with a high ranking officer with a peak cap and his hands clasped behind his back!  Perfect!

Painted for NW Europe by Baccus people...

                                          


So Peter's command stand is going to cross a number of oceans and continents before it is able to grace his table but we're working on it!  Will report as details come available.

Finally - The Cat

My Mom has a "treasured heirloom" in our family.  A plastic black cat handsoap dispenser that she used to bring out on Halloween.  It just so happens that she also has a Black Cat who has a different name but everyone calls him "Boo Boo" or "Boo" because he is, as my son and daughter say, "a scary halloween cat".  

Anyways, Boo Boo's whiskers were scratched off as a result of MANY years of handling.  So I broke out the brushes and painted them back on.  Boo Boo's whiskers have been restored.  A wargamer's skills put to good use!

they're a little uneven but my mom was thrilled when we dropped him off on Easter Sunday

That's all for now.  I hope everyone is having a great week!  Stay tuned for more Kasserine developments!



10 comments:

  1. The aircraft and HQs are very nice models. Once the HQ arrives it will be a catalyst for me to get a WW2 Western Desert game on to the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter - I'm looking forward to getting started on the HQs unit and shipping it out. I've already been hatching some ways to ship it safely so it doesn't get damaged enroute. Looking forward to seeing your desert games in the future.

      Delete
  2. Excellent post Steve varied and impressive progress on several fronts, as usual! I look forward to seeing your version of The Desert Fox and his O Group soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! We have an unusual break in the rain so I'm going to get cracking on basecoating the HQs elements and staff, as well as their base, and will be hopefully giving them some brush-time on Friday or Saturday.

      Delete
  3. God to see you closing in on a Kasserine game and I look forward to your outing with the Napoleonics. The Baccus look good, that command pack has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but sure, Norm! I've definitely fallen way behind on the timetable but every week I get a little closer :) The baccus minis are really cool. I used to own a huge SYW and ACW baccus collection and I sold them off years ago. They're so much fun to paint.

      Delete
  4. I can hear the aeroplane noises for here - as you say, essential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not toy soldier gaming without sound effects, Tim! Cheers, sir.

      Delete
  5. The 3D printed planes look great! Just noticed that you have posted more in 2024 than in all of 2023. Great to see you posting more often. Hope this motivation continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! I think I paid less than $1.25 for each model so they were a bargain, too. So much cheaper than metal. Yes, the WIP Wednesdays have really been keeping me honest for 2024. My initial targets were 2 posts per week, 1 WIP post, and 1 gaming post. Time has not allowed for that as much as I'd like, but I have been able to stick to the WIP Wednesdays!

      Delete