Wednesday, April 10, 2024

WIP Wednesday: Spring Slowdown, Planes, and the Desert Fox

 

Another week, another WIP Wednesday!  Trying to stick with the blog posting and I've got plenty or material queued up.  The problem is I've also got lots of activities ongoing with the kids and the beginning of a new quarter at work, which doesn't always make enough room for hobby time!!  But enough complaining, let's get to the action.


Continued progress on the Kasserine Front this week as I spray-painted the last of the towns and now have enough  built for all towns in the upcoming Kasserine scenario.  I also started painting the aircraft for my air support "markers".  I've always had lots of fun with 1/300 aircraft so I'm really looking forward to knocking out the P-40 and the JU-87.  I'm also gathering bases to base Peter's palm trees so as in previous weeks, we're getting closer!

JU-87 Stuka and the P-40 Warhawk - 2 x of my all-time favorite WWII warbirds!

Finally got some drybrush on the command tents/supply depots etc.

Butted up all of the BUA hexes together.  The palm trees shown are the crappy chenille bump ones I tried (and failed!) to make.  Peter's will go on the rest.

In gaming news, I got to playtest "Scenario 31" a little this week with 9 x units per side, and that was an illuminating experience.  I enjoyed developing this "officially unofficial" scenario for One Hour Wargames, and might even pen some more after I playtest this about a dozen times.  I'm going to play it with a few rules sets, including One Hour Wargames, Martin's OHW variant, and of course an old OHW Grand Tactical variant that I co-authored few years ago, just to see how it plays.

Units all set up for OHW "Scenario 31" Unofficial scenario!  9 units for this one, so a unit in each town to start, and 2 units in between the towns.

Garrisoning one of the villages!  Any resemblance to the 6mm Essling Granary is totally coincidental!  But you have to admit that's a gorgeous model!!!  Thank you Total Battle Miniatures!

Garrisoning the other village! 


In my game, of which I played about 8 turns, I used the Neil Thomas' "Napoleonic Wargaming" with some house rules to add some pizazz to them.  After playing with a mostly tactical set, I'm going to try with a grand tactical set to see how that plays.  Truth be told, I ran into some "space" issues trying to crowd all those Austrian units into the narrow space to attack the towns - just like an "echeloned attack!"

Attacking "Aspern" 

Austrian echeloned columns race to assault "Not Essling"



Finally, I started work on Peter's 6mm WW2 command stand for his 6mm desert battles.  This 40mm square has entirely too many things on it so I'm thinking of breaking it up.  A Rommel stand, and an actual command post stand.  So 1 x stand with "GREIF" and the staff car, and 1 x stand with the radio truck, and the wire-laying 250/1.  This is another project I'm going to get to this weekend as I want to ship it off to Peter soon.

mix of Baccus and GHQ minis here

That's all for now everyone.  Lots more "Scenario 31" action coming up, and I plan on posting the Kasserine Pass scenario this weekend.  Stay tuned!

10 comments:

  1. The tents look really good! Like the HQ too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! Work is coming along on "GREIF" and I'm hoping to get it out the door soon.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, a good mix, that importantly includes some gaming. Scenario 31 is tight enough that cycling through different rule sets should raise some real differences / preferences.

    The BUA looks splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! It's important to remember that playing games is the reason we do all this work!!

      Delete
  4. Aspern Essling looks great! I thought one of the design intentions was that the Austrians would be very crowded? The North Africa terrain is also looking excellent, I hadn't realised you were mounting it on hexes. And yes, I'd break up that big command stand, a couple of vehicles per base is plenty in 6mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin each week I get a little closer although I think this weekend, once the Kasserine scenario is done, we will be just about ready to play.
      Re Aspern Essling you're quite right that is historical, and crowded is the look I'm going for. The Austrians had a very tough time bringing it all together and did not have enough room to deploy their columns into line. I am playing it with games that have no formations now (using sabots) to see how it goes.

      Delete
  5. Interestingly varied post Steve. I like the look of that N.African BUA. The modelling style is similar to Peter's approach. Those TBM buildings paint up well don't they. Have a few myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always are, Chris! I try to keep things interesting and you all on your toes.

      The BUAs are simple. Just pine cubes from Amazon with milliput dome mosques! Good enough for a 2 hour game.

      The Total Battle Minis are my favorite. I'm tempted to buy their painted "medium European village" at the tidy sum if £135!!! Must. Resist...

      Delete
    2. Also meant to say the Aspern Essling Granary is from their collection and I sprang for the painted versions with these guys.

      Delete