Friday, November 23, 2018

Some Progress Updates & A HOLIDAY GAMING FEAST!

It's been awhile since I've posted  but not for lack of trying!  Progress continues apace for the FATE OF A NATION Christmas MEGA GAME (Chinese Farm this year) and I'm looking back to 15mm World War II again as the Holiday gaming season moves into full swing!

So yesterday was Thanksgiving here in the USA and that means a day off for many of us.  I took the opportunity post-meal to set up for today (Black Friday in the USA - a day of greed, avarice, and outstanding deals in stores across the nation, gaming stores included [click]!).  I have a table set up for a MASSIVE Eastern Front clash and today's gaming feast will be a FoW "historical" game using a Battlegroup scenario (bear with me, here).  "First Charge at Hill 252" from the Prokhorovka campaign in the Battlegroup: Kursk book.

I know you didn't tune in to hear about my plans, so "feast" your eyes on this progress with my 6mm Israelis:
GHQ Magach-3s

In terms of "points" this is an obscene amount of points in FATE OF A NATION but is a full-strength Israeli MTOE Magach-3 Company.  3 platoons and a HQs element as well.  They'll need it, too, because I have 2 full-strength Egyptian T-55 battalions and a full-strength Infantry company as well mounted in BTR-152s!  The Israelis will be outnumbered and under the gun!

With the FATE OF A NATION project winding down, I'll be transitioning back to my TEAM YANKEE project for MicroArmor.  The MEGA GAME will be on December 23rd.


The bases are all textured, painted, and dry brushed in my usual style.  Over the coming weeks, I'm going to give my desert board a makeover and the board will completely match the desert stands here. 

Mech platoons.  I won't have a mixture of APCs on the table, although the halftracks may stand in for mortars.

Army painter dark tone and anti shine varnish did wonders for these guys!

i-Shermans.
In addition to this, I've built 2 x more PSC Panther Ausf Ds in anticipation of "Ghost Panzers" eventual release, and last night I built 5 more T-34s, and have 4 left to build from the lead/plastic mountain.

Here is a sneak preview of today's planned game:



The table.

Aerial recce of Hill 252.  




All the forces arrayed, save for 7 Soviet T-34s which Ken will bring over.
This will be one of the biggest FLAMES games i've played with almost 240 points per side but as close to the historical MTOE as possible.  Actually, I've taken the vehicles and troops right out of the Battlegroup book.  The 32nd Guards consists of 2 Soviet tank battalions and an infantry battalion (a tank brigade) and will be clashing head-on against a German Panzer IV company with a Panzergrenadier company (elements of the LSSAH - 1st SS Panzer Division).  The stage is set!

And just like Thanksgiving Dinner, there will be seconds!  Following the game with Ken, Dave is coming over in the PM and we'll refight the whole darn thing!  Pictures to follow!!!  An EPIC DAY OF GAMING FOLLOWING AN EPIC DAY OF EATING!

Also, kicking off the gaming holiday season, I played a game of Dark Age Fantasy with CW. (NT One Hour Wargames rules) We played what my daughter calls "Orcs" as she has off school today.  My Empire troops were slaughtered to a man as their fearsome Orc warboss sipped on dainty, herbal tea and rolled 6 after 6 after 6:

The battleline.  Can anyone stop Drazen's horde?  Another battle for another hill.

Eager to close, the Orcs work themselves up into a frenzy!

Super happy with how these massed bases turned out.  

My knights charge against their old, traditional adversaries - the piggies (Orc Boar Riders)

Epic clash with battlelines and flags unfurled!



We played 2 x games and my CW won both of them.  The first game I kind of coached her along.  The second game I didn't help at all.  I'm proud of her - she made some excellent decisions about conserving her force, timing her attacks, and supporting with indirect fires of arrows.

I hope to posts pictures tomorrow of the EPIC DAY OF GAMING today!  Stay tuned!  The Holiday Season is traditionally a time of much gaming for me when I can manage.  Last year, we played Alex's most recent version of UP THE BLUE at the FLGS the night before Thanksgiving and if you'd like to read up on that, you can find it here [click].  I re-read the November, December, and January games that followed and I'm hoping to recreate some of that this year.  I hope you've all had a great week, and if you're in the States, I hope your Thanksgiving was outstanding.


3 comments:

  1. Good update, that Kursk game is looking tasty - no need to give any elite units special rules ...... just have your daughter roll for them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha my wife said the same thing, Norm. She said my rolling was sub-par and I needed a proxy! :)

      Delete
  2. this is really cool. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete