Tuesday, March 10, 2020

March WIP: Prussian 10mm Seven Years War Cavalry!

Man it's been awhile since I posted anything!  That doesn't mean I'm not doing anything, though!  

Here is my WIP for March so far - 4 units of Prussian SYW Cavalry and a battery of artillery made as a single-based unit for games like "Eagles Cheaper than Brain Cells" SYW edition, 1 Hour Wargames, Commands and Colors Tricorne (whenever the SYW version comes out) and a few other games like Honours of War, and maybe even Black Powder tried with single-based unit stands.

Prussian Cuirassiers!  I think he was a bit too generous with the glue and sand - our horses legs are mired!
So far for March I've painted 2 units of Prussian Dragoons (22 total riders and mounts) and 2 units of Prussian Cuirassiers (22 total riders and mounts).  I also painted up a Prussian battery of guns amounting to 8 figures and 2 guns.

Seydlitz would be proud!


Can't have Prussian cavalry without their dragoons, either!  Some of my favorite units of the SYW period!  I know the Prussian cavalry hats are all solid black but I felt like the hats were so small they needed the extra detail with the white "tape" or trim as I call it.  It just makes them stand out that much more!  Not sorry!

2 units of Prussian dragoons!



And finally, Frederick himself said "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl" and so here are the Prussian guns:


Such a cool pic!  I love the muddy boots and mud on the wheels of the gun carriage!  These men are only 10mm tall!
This brings my total Prussian units in the 10mm SYW army up to 9!  I only need to paint the Generals and 2 units of Grenadiers or Fusiliers and my first "wave" of Prussians will be done.  The Austrians have 2 x Regiments on the table now and I'm hoping to pick up some German Grenadiers at Cold Wars this weekend.  For the Austrians I need to paint a bunch more units including Cuirassiers, Artillery, and lots more infantry.  Progress is slow, but it's still progress!  Stay tuned!  Here are some gratuitous shots of my Americans and SS fighting now...

I was fiddling around with some different WWII rules and I came up with a wonderful, more abstracted version of the Neil Thomas WWII rules from Wargaming: An Introduction where an entire stand is a squad with an organic LMG.  Most of the other rules from W:AI are unchanged and I really had forgotten what a great game those rules deliver.  You will be seeing more of that on my table soon!

The war is this way, son!


The guys on the other side of the hedgerow...


11 comments:

  1. Those are pretty great. You're putting me to shame, though I'm going to lean on my guys being twice as big. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, Ski! They're 20mm so they take twice as long to paint! Glad you liked them.

      Delete
  2. Your Prussian cav are terrific! You make fielding 10mm armies look easy. The photo taken from behind the foot battery is a great short, for sure. Lovely! Looking forward to seeing more of your squad level WWII riles. I would like to find something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan! The 10mm SYW have been a joy to paint. My biggest enemy is time!

      I'll post something on my modifications to the NT ww2 rules. I would definitely steer you towards Norm's Tigers at Minsk, though, which are excellent!

      Delete
  3. Those 10mm figures look really great...amazing detail for such tiny figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much sir! I love the OG 10mm figs. I have some Pendraken Napoleonic Bavarians in the queue as well. Looking forward to painting them up.

      Delete
  4. Steve, I have a draw of unpainted 10mm and you are making me feel bad, bad, bad! :-)

    I too prefer to see the LMG integrated into the section base. Yours is the second post this week that I have seen mention Neil Thomas W:AI for WWII. I was very stupid for letting that book go in one of my clearing out moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SYW guys paint up quick, Norm! I love them!

      Honestly it harkens back to my high school days of playing squad leader. I love games where a squad is a unit vrs Figure counting. That's why I love your Tigers at Minsk rules.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work.
    Very much look forward to your WWII rules/variations. Soon please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! I am working on a post with my NT ww2 mods, hopefully posting soon!

      Delete
  6. Your 10 mm SYW figures look amazingly good, especially at anywhere near table viewing distances!

    ReplyDelete